I went to cable, I think I want back directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by darkserpant, Jan 12, 2006.

1. darkserpant

darkserpant New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Let me begin by telling you guys that I went to comcast cable. I went there cause of Hd. But I have had nothing but problems with thus far. Regarding their piece of crap, and I mean peice of crap dvr. I am on my fourth one and I switched to Comcast about 4-5 months ago. Anyway can somebody please expain to me in detail how this hd signal works with directv. With comcast I don't need any external antenna for me to receive the signal. I was told with direc I would. And I was also told when I am watching tv to go to a channel that has hd I would need to switch something on the box.I am not quite sure on that. With Comcast all I have to do is just go to the channel that broeadcasts hd. I don't want a ugly external antenna sitting around whether it being a 1960's rabbit ears on top of the tv or a wall hanging antenna. I was hoping it would be a setup like Comcast. And if I do come back would I still be able to get the tivo r10. I heard to many stories on the r15. Thanks for all your help.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    1) Local HD channels are only available in the top 12 markets right now -- and only the 4 major networks. DirecTV is rolling out another 24 or so markets this year for sure, but again only the 4 major networks. Of course, these are provided in MPEG-4 and DirecTV's DVR that can handle MPEG4 HD won't be out till mid-2006.

2) If DirecTV isn't providing your local HD channels yet, the only way you can get them is over-the-air with an antenna (presuming you can get decent reception that way, of course). If DirecTV is providing your local HD channels, you'd need an antenna if you wanted to receive any stations beyond the 4 major network ones. By 2007 they'll be providing all local HD channels in most all markets -- if everything goes well.

3) DirecTV generally is only providing the R15 as an SD DVR, the TiVo models are available from dealers, though. If you were a customer before, all your existing equipment could just be reactivated.

4) Depending on where you live relative to local station transmitters, you might get away with using some compact, unobtrusive antennas that are smaller than your satellite dish.

5) The HR10-250 really still is, by far, the best HD DVR out there. If you can get all your locals using an antenna, you wouldn't miss out on anything.

3. darkserpant

darkserpant New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Is there a way where I can find out what those top 12 markets are? And what new markets are supposed to come out this year?

4. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    were do you live?

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    There's no official "list". That said, DirecTV is basically following the Nielson markets ratings, but not directly. Detroit, while market 11, was the first to receive MPEG 4 local HDTV.

6. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    .. at least, not one that we're privy to.

7. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Right...of course.;)

8. darkserpant

darkserpant New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    I live in the harrisburg Pa. area. Is this one of the markets?

9. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    No

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That's the 41st largest television market.

You're probably not going to be among the first 36 markets, but you might still make it this year depending on what DirecTV plans to do after the first 36 go live. They might just be waiting to do another group with the existing satellites or to see how much capacity remains before announcing what's next.

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Also note at this time, upn/wb/pbs are not in HD even in the top 12 markets nor will be on the sats at least this year by all accounts I've read. So stay with comcast if that's important to you.

12. rborden

rborden New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    There is a list. I will post it tommorow.

13. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Check http://www.nielsenmedia.com/dmas.html

(Not sure why, when I click the link it does not find the page, but if I type that url in, it works.)

That is the nielsen rating of the top 200 or so markets in the US. Supposedly D* is going in roughly this order - although Detroit (11th on the Nielsen list) was the first city D* did. Someone else suggested that D* is going in accordance with how many HD subscribers they have in each market. Theoretically, that demographic should generally follow the market size demographic.

Carl

14. cktb2793

cktb2793 New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    I have a question....... If you "live" in Key West....... (which is considered the Miami market for locals)........and you have the E/W Feeds due to Key West being a "white area" for OTA.......... what will happen when the Miami HD locals go live???

Will Key West still be able to have the E/W Feeds since they still will NOT be able to receive regular OTA signals?? Or will they be turned off?

15. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    I'm pretty sure because you're in the Miami market, you'll have to migrate to MPEG4 locals.

Congress mandated that satellite broadcasters may not give Distant Network (E/W) feeds to anyone where they offer "local market broadcasts."

H

16. rborden

rborden New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Cities to be added in 04/06(Baltimore,Birmingham,Charlotte,Hartford,Miami,Minneapolis,Nashville,Pittsburg,Sacramento,San Diego,Seattle,W. Palm Beach)...
    To be added in 05/06(Cleveland,Columbus,Denver,Fresno,Indianapolis,Kansas City,Milwaukee,Orlando,Phoenix,Pittsburg,St. Louis,Salt Lake City)

17. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
  18. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Is that for the MPEG4 locals delivery over the dish??

I'm in Phoenix.