I want to upgrade, but what can I do with the Bolt now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by forrie, Oct 12, 2019.

1. forrie

forrie New Member

May 30, 2003
    Derry, NH US
    I just bought my Bolt barely a year ago. I want to upgrade to the Edge, more because the design itself of the Edge will fit better in my config. 2TB is more than enough for me.

My problem is, what can I actually do with my Bolt, now that I'm stuck with it. Can it be repurposed, in some fashion, say with a linux distribution or something that will make it useful (apart from trying to sell it).

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Set up in bedroom and use as you would use a mini? If not, sell it.

3. forrie

forrie New Member

May 30, 2003
    Derry, NH US
    Yes, I may sell it. I just thought there might be some mini-linux dist I could put on it..

4. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    How much? I returned my edge yesterday because of the bad picture quality and plan to get another bolt.

5. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Sell it and buy the Edge? Bolt still sounds like a better product.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. forrie

forrie New Member

May 30, 2003
    Derry, NH US
    Wow, really. I'm curious what happened with the new Edge, as they are flaunting this as the best DVR they've ever produced. I think the Bolt was a flop as well -- cheap plastic, first one overheated and I had to return it, lots of quirks in the firmware (their QA process must really suck).

7. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    My Bolt+ has been rock solid from day one.

8. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    If your Bolt is working fine, then there's no need to rush out to buy an Edge. Apparently, there are some "bumps in the road" that need to be smooth out yet. Besides, with Black Friday and the EOY, it might be a good reason to wait for price deals anyway.

9. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Perhaps the traditional advice for cars applies to new TiVo models:

"Never buy a new/redesigned car in its first model year".

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My two Bolt+ were rock solid from day one. From day two... not so much.

ej42137 likes this.
  11. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Use it to back up your new unit. I wish I had done that with my HD instead of just sitting it on a shelf. I had to get my Bolt replaced and lost all of our Season Passes. I am going to see if I can still get them from the HD.

12. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    I must say TiVo models have improved with speed and reliability over time. I never had a TiVo die but rather age out of the program, Pioneer 810H, but used the lifetime transfer at the time to another TiVo buy. Premiere XLs, Premiere XL4 had some hard drive issues at about 5-6 years old and were upgraded for more space. Roamio Pro and Bolt+ have been rock solid performers. All are still working and on 7/24. Now that's reliability.

Heat is TiVo's biggest issue so all my TiVo's have spacers between components and are in open spaces.

Sure I would like to see TiVo be more responsive and cheaper but it's still a terrific platform for what it is designed to do.