I want to put a Premiere HD into my Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PeskyPete, Aug 19, 2012.

1. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010

Advertisements

My Series 3 modified (by previous owner) 750Gb drive is bad.
    It was freezing up (live tv after a few hours), so I tried a system reset.
    Now it's hanging at the 'Powering up' message.
    I tested the supply to the HD and am getting 11.4 volts.
    I ran a disk test, through Win7 and it failed.

So, since I have only a 320Gb in my other Tivo (Premiere).
    I thought I would upgrade that to 1Tb. and use the 320 in the S3 HD

How do I go about that? (AFTER I have upgraded the Premiere of course)!
    Is it possible with something like WinMFS?
    Is there a thread with instructions, specific to what d like to do?

Thanks!
    Pete

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, you can't. Even if you wipe the P drive, since its smaller than the current drive in the S3.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    huh? there's absolutely no reason he can't use the 320GB in an S3, it may be smaller than the current dying drive, but a base S3 image based off a stock unit will work just fine.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

His S3 was already modified to 750gb, but he didn't mention if he had the original drive, before he bought it.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah, and there is no possible way for him to acquire an image file anywhere else.:rolleyes:

However, I would recommend against doing it. If the new Premiere drive goes bad, he has no backup and, unlike with previous models, there is no way to acquire an image file as there is no way to create them.

7. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

I do not have the original S3 drive, and I tried to read it with winmfs (thought I would try to make an image of it, but it came back with the message 'Not a Tivo drive, backup failed'.
    So as far as the S3, am I hooped? I had a Lifetime on it.
    Is it possible to get a Tivo image and copy it to a new HD?

With the cover off, and plugging in the S3, I did hear 'ticking' from the big 470uF 200V cap on the power supply, so I'm going to replace that on the off chance that maybe that was the problem in the first place!

I also tried to copy the P(remiere) HD using JMFS Rev104 and each time It would just have, sometimes at 60Gb, sometimes less sometimes more....
    I don't know if the destination drive, which was new, is the problem. Is there something I can do to prepare this new drive?

I did prepare the original 320GB P HD, by deleting all content - figured it would speed up the copying.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no preparing of a new drive to be used in a Tivo, ie: format. WinMFS does require administrative access to recognize the drives.

9. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Do you mean running WinMFS when logged on as a user with an administrator account? or do you mean right click run as admin?
    I will try the right click way later!
    Thanks

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I run WinMFS by right-clicking and running as "Administrator". I will PM you with a link to an image for the S3HD taken from a factory 160GB drive. I also do all of my Tivo imaging using a cheap USB to IDE/SATA adapter cable so I don't have to crack open the PC.

11. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you!
    I will replace a couple of the caps. on the PS first, then see if I can get it to boot.
    One cap is 'doming', the one that ticks looks ok but I will replace them both.
    Pete

12. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ok, so I replaced the caps, but I still have the problem. (At least the caps are all good now - I replaced 12 out of the 15).
    On initial power up, I get the 'Powering up...' message for a few secs, then a blank screen.

So now I want to try a different HD.
    I have a 320gb that I just deleted everything off.
    Do I format this (ntfs?) and then run winmfs.exe (admin mode) and copy the image file (thanks Lillevig)??
    Thanks!
    Pete

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Previously noted.

Just remove all dos/windows or any non-Tivo partitions. Windows should not even recognize the drive nor assign a drive letter.

14. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Yes, but this references a NEW drive. I am using an old drive that has files on it and was formatted for win7.
    I just tried to copy a Tivo image file and I get an Error writing media inode 1 message. Will google that message...

15. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If the power up screen comes on for only a few seconds I would say that changing the hard drive will not fix the problem. That screen should stay on for much longer than that and then fail when if tries to get to the "Just a few minutes more" screen. That's when it transitions from the onboard bios to the hard drive SW. Have you checked the power supply voltages under load? I would be leery of putting a good hard drive in there with this issue but, to answer your question, you actually want the hard drive to be "unmountable" by Windows before running WinMFS. If it is already formatted and Windows mounts it, then run WinMFS, select the drive (probably have to check the box to show mounted drives), delete the format, exit WinMFS, unplug the drive, plug the drive back in (Windows should not mount it this time), then run WinMFS again. This time when you go to select the drive it should show up without checking the box to show mounted drives.

16. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks I'll give it a shot

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You must remove ALL existing partitions off a used drive before you can use it in Tivo.

18. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I'm only getting max. 5V on the red leads connected to the Motherboard.
    Aren't they supposed to be 12V??
    Oh, I get 12V at the HD (yellow) and 5V on the red (HD)

19. PeskyPete

PeskyPete New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Ok, I got this far and was able to restore the image file I d/l'd.
    So now the Tivo is in a reset loop...
    It comes up with the Powering up message for about a minute, then restarts and repeats.
    When I ran the winmfs prog. I said 'no' to 'expanding' the drive. Should I have said yes?
    Not sure what to do about the looping though!

I should point out, that I put the image onto a 320Gb drive that had some files from a win7 computer (not the boot drive). This wasn't the Tivo drive from my Premiere.

20. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you get that far, then it most likely does not like the drive. Did you do a long drive test on it first to make sure it was good? As was said above, you want to remove all partitions on the drive before using it for the Tivo. Go ahead and let it expand the recording area.