I Want to Cancel When Required to Get 5 LNB Dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ciucca, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004

Advertisements

I agreed to a 2 year commitment when I received my HD Tivo in Sept 2005, So I am "committed" until 9/2007. After reading about the 5LNB Dish I definitely don't want that thing on my house. Since I live in the NY local feed area I don't fell the need to upgrade, unless I am required to, due to all broadcast in mpeg4. When the deadline comes and I have to do it, I am definitely switching back to Comcast. Anybody have any idea when that will be? If it is before 9/2007, can I talk my way out of a penalty if I cancel?

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    There is no deadline and there liklely will not be one. Just relax.

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Don't worry about it now. Worry about it when you have to make a decision. Odds are good that won't happen until well after 9/2007. Even if it is possible to get out of the commitment prematurely (and there are several ways), what might be possible a year from now could very well be different.

4. ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Not Required, but I will no longer be able to receive mpeg2 HD locals and national stations. This is what I mean by deadline. Once this happens it's back to comcast for me, regardless of penalty. I think DTV is on the decline. The first major blunder is dropping Tivo, next will be this hideous 5 LNB dish.

Left out reducing broadcast signal quality , another blunder, the reason I switched to begin with along with Tivo.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

The NY HD locals will be in MPEG-2 for quite some time, since they (and the LA feeds) are used to serve white areas, waivered folks, and owned-and-operated viewing areas.

There may come a time when DirecTV will work towards converting all of those "stragglers" over to MPEG-4 equipment and the 5-LNB dish, but that's likely not happening until they have the final two satellites launched and operational in 2007 that are part of their MPEG-4 service expansion.

Seriously, it's just not worth worrying about until the time comes you have to make a decision. That time is not coming tomorrow, next week, next month, or even this year. ;)

6. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Save your time Doug, he's determined to be mad at DTV.

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    maybe by that time they will have ALL the locals up..not just the big 4 :)