I transfered my series 3 lifetime to tivo hd

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cpucrash0, Aug 30, 2007.

1. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX
    Yup, I turned my tivo into bestbuy with the warrenty that I bought last year when they first came out and they didn't have the series 3 premium so they gave me a gift card for the value of the series 3 which I payed 709 plus tax and I got a tivo hd and a playstation 3 and paid an extra 120 or so with a game that includes for both things. When I got my tivo hd home I called tivo and let them know that I returned it at the store they gave me my lifetime I payed 200 for on the series 3 premium to the tivo hd. cool,huh anyone done this to get lifetime or have lifetime on the tivo hd?

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What do you mean by you 'turned it into bestbuy with the warranty'?

Do you mean you returned it for buyers remorse or do you mean you had warranty replacement?

3. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX
    I mean I had best buy warrenty which they let you return it right there at the store within 4 years. So I got the tivo hd and added my lifetime to it and got the rest in the gift card. They didn't have the series 3 premium

4. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Sorry to be so thick here... Was there something wrong with it?

Does the warranty let you return it for any reason? I thought that BestBuy would only replace the unit if they could not fix it.

I was aware that TiVo will transfer lifetime to any unit that is replaced by a store-purchased warranty such as BestBuy.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Don't worry - it's not you ... ;)

6. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX

well they don't check the tivo at bestbuy they will just replace it for the same one but if the don't have it they will give you a gift card if it's been less then 1 year since you bought it. If it's been more they will just order you the same one from the bestbuy.com website if they don't have it in stock or you get the tivo hd.

7. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What did you tell them when you returned it and was it the truth? This will have a bearing on how people view your new method.

8. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX
    well yeah it was the truth it wasn't working right. The cable card slot has problems but they didn't check it at bestbuy though they just gave me my gift card and I got the tivo hd.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    So, the CableCARD slot had been working for a while and then just stopped working? .... seems odd.

Kind of surprised BB didn't replace it with another S3 - they may not have had any in the store, but they certainly have them available in their stocking system.

Sounds like you ran into a lazy CSR at BB, but glad it worked out for you.

It doesn't look like this is going to be a common situation though.

10. cpucrash0

cpucrash0 Premium Member

Sep 14, 2002
    McAllen, TX

the manager did this for me. I've been to bestbuy lots of times so they know me. N e ways they will give you a gift card if it's been less then 1 year, if they tell you no ask to speak to the manager and they will probably do it. Well they gave me the gift card and I did buy a series 3 just that it was the series 3 lite.