I think the Wifi adapter in my laptop is failing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nessie, Apr 25, 2021.

1. nessie

nessie Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ

Advertisements

The rest of my devices get speeds of 50-60 mbps, this one gets 1-3, and sometimes it drops and I lose the connection completely. I don't have this problem when it's connected via ethernet cable. Is the general solution to get a powerline adapter so I can connect it via ethernet cable always? (My laptop is downstairs and the router/modem is upstairs)

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the laptop’s built-in wireless is failing, and you find that it’s a hardware issue, you may find that the wireless adapter in the laptop can be replaced, even upgraded — if wireless is provided by an add-on adapter card (attached to the motherboard; a so-called daughterboard).

Or... the laptop’s built-in wireless adapter could be disabled and replaced using some USB wireless adapter.

3. nessie

nessie Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks! I think replacing the adapter inside the laptop is beyond my capabilities, but didn't realize you could get a USB wireless adapter to replace the one in the laptop. I think I'll try that

Though my laptop has only 2 USB ports, think I'll need a usb splitter too

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  4. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    USB WiFi adapters are cheap, and you can find them so small that they barely stick out. This little one's $9.99

Screenshot_20210425-174155_copy_297x306.jpg

dianebrat likes this.
  5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

Brand and model of the 'laptop'? - it might be less expensive and likely a better approach to replace the WiFi Adapter in the 'laptop' itself. Brand, specific model and as much info as you know about the 'laptop'!

krkaufman likes this.
  6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
  7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i always avoid laptop repairs other than batteries, hard drives, and ram, they can be time consuming and a huge pita - an inexpensive plug-in usb solution would be a no-brainer, imho.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When you add in your labor opening the laptop up there is rarely a case where it's less expensive than a $10 USB WiFi dongle.

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    If info isn't mentioned then one will 'never' know. It could actually be just a matter of updating 'device drivers' and some minimal maintenance as mentioned in post#2. I believe that in some instances 'stacking' similar devices actually won't work. I've had only ThinkPad product since the 600 days so maintenance for me isn't a nuisance.

It costs nothing to mention product, model, OS etc.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021