I think my HR10-250 is dying =(

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Castaa, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco

Advertisements

Here is my situation and maybe you have some insight to what I should do:

Last week, I started to see random "Please Insert Your Card" warning pop-ups while I was watching D* channels. The message would appear for about 10 seconds and disappear for 5 or 10 minutes again fairly randomly.
    Even though the card was inserted (and reinserted just to be sure) and my D* account is in good standing.

This Monday, I awoke and found my box totally crashed and I had to unplug it to reset it. Same error was still periodically occurring but now I was randomly seeing the temperature was too hot shutdown screen for the first time ever. The box was not overheating and the fan was fine, the room cool. The on-screen temp monitor never rose above 45C that I saw after rebooted it.

So doing some searching here in this forum I found that it might be that my power supply is giving out.

So what are my options at this point? I could roll the dice and replace my PSU which I think costs around $80. Or I could update to the newest D* (non-TiVo) DVR. If it's best to update to a new box, generally what the best way to get the sweetest deal from D*?

Any recommendations?

Thanks. :up:

2. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    I got a phone call recently offering a free HR-2x and installation, no commitment, keep your HR-10. That's a pretty good deal, IMO. They gave a "coupon code" ... something like "FREEHD". I'm sure you can find it somewhere online.

There's a thread on upgrade deals people are getting. If you're willing to sign a 2-year commitment, you might be able to do better. Free programming or a monthly credit or somesuch.

3. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks. Is the best deal thread the multi-page one here?

4. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    As far as the "Please insert your card" messages, try taking the card out, cleaning the contacts, and inserting the card.

I just use a cloth to clean the contacts on my card. I have had to do this about every 6 months on my HR10-250.