I sure miss my TiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jeff412, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jeff412

Jeff412 Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Buna, TX

Advertisements

I've been a TiVo fan since 2000 and finally had to give it up because of the lack of HD Satellite support. I switched to the Dish 722 DVR. I don't know how anyone could say that it's better than TiVo. I've had it since the first of December and it is just missing too many of the TiVo features I've grown to love. Is there anything coming for us poor unfortunate Satellite users?

Jeff

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Yes.

Just not for you.

There is a new TiVo-based DVR due 2Q 2009 for DircTV, but not for Dish.

Sorry.

3. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I still use my HR10-250 for HD locals and the HR20 for the rest. I cant wait for new DVR so I will have 3.....

4. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    To clarify. The initial press release stated 2nd half of 2009, not 2nd quarter. And Tivo just recently stated that it was delayed until at least mid-2010. And they wouldn't even talk about it at CES. In other worlds it's going to be a long while.

5. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

If at all...

DirecTV hasn't said a word about it either...

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    Well I guess DirecTV won't be getting my business for a while then.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I was hoping that my HR10 would last until the new TiVo came out. But, with DirecTV shutting down the MPEG2 streams, I need the extra tuners for conflicts. So I may have to get another HR2x to supplement my HR20.

8. Jeff412

Jeff412 Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Buna, TX
    Is there no way that they could come up with a stand alone TiVo that would record from HDMI? I wouldn't mind going back to 1 tuner if I could get my TiVo back.

Jeff

9. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    No, there isn't any legal way to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

10. Jeff412

Jeff412 Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Buna, TX
    How about component? It doesn't have the HDCP issues that HDMI would have.

Jeff

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    HDMI was designed to be not recordable. The only consumer equipment I know of that can record HD from component video is a Hauppauge video capture device for PCs.

12. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Good idea in theory but if there was a mass consumer device that did this then the studios would enforce the long held threat of downressing the component output to SD so the only way you could even see HD would be thru the HDMI ports. And nobody wants that. I'm not sure if there is a DVD writer that takes a component in but I don't think so. If so it's not gotten popular either because of price or because of lawsuits. DRM is a b!tch.

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    This would imply the recording device have an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 encoder.

MPEG encoding/decoding is designed so that the cost and sophistication goes into the encoder side, and that simplicity and economy go into the decoder side. The idea is that there will be few encoders, but millions of STBs and HDTVs with decoders, and this allows the STB to be made economically.

I don't know if there is yet a consumer level MPEG encoder that would both have decent HD quality (especially since re-encoding from analog implies a PQ hit) and real-time capability at an affordable price, but my best guess is probably not. If we had such a thing it would be either a very expensive hardware card, or a software solution that would probably only run on very fast PCs.

14. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    It exists. I have one of these:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Works great. A PQ hit? Yes, but still looks about 90% as good as the source, as long as you don't throttle down the bit rate too far.

15. TallShip

TallShip New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Seattle
    I have three HR10-250s an HR20. I am replacing a power supply in one of the HR10-250s
    this week - apparently they don't last forever.

Whenever they actually shut down the first MPEG-2 channels I will be turning off all of my premium programming. I hope at that time there is a real date for the new HD DirecTivo box, or I may move on.

XBox+Netflix is a pretty good source for on-demand HD content, and a lot cheaper than premium channels with DTV. Amazing that they are able to deliver HD content in real time via the internet on (in my case) a cable modem. XBox Live delivers addtional HD content on ppv basis.

16. GalenMD

GalenMD New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had a DirecTV installer come to my home today to re-install/align my dish after some construction. Unlike others I have met, this person seemed extremely knowledgeable, and a huge Tivo fan. He said that he was at a recent DirecTV meeting where they discussed the new TiVo. He believes that it will be released in approximately 6 months.

That info is probably not worth anything, but you never know.

Anyway, where is the discussion thread for this upcoming (?) box?

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Is there a source for "delayed until at least mid-2010"? Tom Rogers said at the recent media conference that the DTV box would be "next year" which would be 2010 (assuming he's talking calendar and not fiscal year) but nothing he says implies it will be a long while. In fact, he says that Tivo's lack of an HD satellite box will be a problem for "a short period of time."

18. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    That would make no sense. DirecTV has agreed to start paying increasingly higher minimum monthly fees to TiVo starting in 2010. They only get full value from that if by charging certain development fees against it.

19. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    As I recall, Tom Rogers said it would be next year at the Citi Global conference.

But I find it odd that there was no mention at CES by either TiVo or DirecTV.

Hey, I hope it happens, I'll be first in line signing back up for DirecTV...!

20. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Correct, Rogers stated at the Citi conference it was delayed and would be into 2010.

Tivo has been talking up the product a lot but suddenly at CES they don't have anything to show and then they won't even talk about it other then "no comment". That's definitely not good.

DirecTV has never said one word about the project other then the initial press release back last summer.

Certainly if we connect the dots it means for sure the project is delayed (until at least 2010) and at worse is on hold or canceled.

Certainly I don't think anyone is saying that's a good thing (I'm not). Competition is good and it would be good to have an option. But right now the odds are looking long for it being released at all and at the least it's going to be another year or so.

Like anything I never base *my personal* decisions on press releases and vaporware. When I see a box at the next CES with an announcement it's will be out in a certain time period then I'll start to believe. I feel sorry for people that don't base their financial decisions on reality and only on vaporware and press releases.