I suppose my 2TB drive is FULL

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stuxnet, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    It looks like TiVo Suggestions has finally filled up my 2TB drive, lol... I'm guessing that 'cause there's only "0" programs in my "Recently Deleted" folders... My drive status shows 274 HD hours of free space... maybe the 421 TiVo suggestions aren't counted since they're eliminated whenever space is needed for a Wishlist or Season Pass...

I'm growing to like the "suggestions" feature... even though it's wrong 80% of the time, because it gives me the ability to watch something w/o commercial interruption... I don't recall watching a live program recently... even the NBA fiinals... which I started an hour after tip-off, and still made it to the live ending...

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Do you go to the trouble of rating your suggestions?
    If not, you should. It'll help the Tivo fine tune your likes and dislikes.

3. tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Right; suggestions don't count against your disk capacity reading

4. rugbyfan45

rugbyfan45 New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Steve614 is right on. One of my favorite things about TiVo is how the suggestions got better and better the more I rated programs. I always liked that you could also search not just by show but also by actor, director, etc.

5. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    I tried that for awhile, but it quickly grew tedious with all the keypresses and the fact that I wasn't familiar with many of the programs. Instead, I'd prefer that TiVo track what I watch and what I record, and make recommendations accordingly.

6. ecoblue

ecoblue Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I didn't worry about rating my TiVo's Suggestions--I just rate the programs I watch and the TiVo figured out the rest.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Mine does a decent job after about 4 years now of just the ratings that get applied by recording shows and creating season passes.

Scott

8. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    That's something to look forward too... only 3 more years :D:D:D

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if you watch a suggestion and like it - then give it a thumbs up. Do not like it - one thumbs down. let the rest sort itself out

10. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Those key presses are easier with the new Slide remote.

11. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    love suggestions.. it's like.. if I don't feel like watching what I have recorded.. can check down there, versus watching live TV where I'll have to watch commercials.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    For those that use suggestions off and on, or not at all...
    You can still rate suggestions by going to Find Programs -> Tivo Suggestions. Here, Tivo keeps a list even if you don't use suggestions.

If you do use suggestions, you can go to this list and quickly rate shows/movies if you know for sure you like or dislike them. Highlight then :up: (or :thumbsdown:).

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    :up::up::up:

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    All three of mine started doing an excellent job after about 6 weeks.

15. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    I forgot that menu selection... good reminder. Thanks.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    "All the key presses"? You have to be kidding me. One, two, or three leisurely button presses while watching a show does not constitute "All the key presses".

Familiar, shamiliar. You don't need to be familiar with anything. Start watching a suggestion that looks like it might be interesting. If it's bad, hit 1, 2, or 3 thumbs down, depending on how bad, and delete the show. If it's good, hit 1, 2, or 3 thumbs up and finish watching the show. Over time, fewer and fewer awful programs will be recorded and more and more good ones.

Who says what you record and watch is always good? First of all, if it was a suggestion in the first place, it's value is generally in doubt until you take a look. Secondly, although I rarely manually choose anythng to record, there have been plenty of times I selected something tht sounded interesting, only to find it lousy. Three thumbs down. Delete.

17. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    That's may work for you, but I'm not up to wasting time watching an unknown program, even ten minutes of a program, just because TiVo's algorithm relates it to something vaguely associated to something my family watches.

Add to that the myriad of specialty channels that cable co's pump into our homes, and the overall lack of program quality available today... the "suggestions" usefulness is more towards catching up on forgotten series, and movies featuring my favorite directors, actors, etc..

I suppose "suggestions" could work for a single user, but when everyone in a household with varied interests provide the inputs for TiVo's suggestions, then the "suggestions" are much more useful than randomly program watching.

IMO the suggestions are basically a convenient repository to check out when you're seeking commercial-free entertainment. YMMV.

18. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    We set our box to not record the suggestions. No thanks there is enough crap we already record and don't get a chance to watch as it is. Between that and netflix I need more options like another hole in the head.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If you don't want to watch it, then don't. Without doing so, however, you will never know if it is perhaps the best thing on the DVR.

The relationships are not vague, however, and one can clearly see them by hitting the <Info> button. If it is something you cearly don't like - which early on is often enough the case, then give it a thumbs-down or three.

To be sure. Indeed, one of the main uses I have for the Suggestions is recording old series I like without elevating their priority to the same as a Season Pass.

I have no idea what you mean by that. Relatively few of the suggestions on my machines are commercial free, especially as opposed to scheduled programs, which are almost 100% commercial free. Regardless, Suggestions are much more powerful than that. They offer the user a very powerful management tool as well as being a watchdog for obscurely scheduled pograms of meaningful content.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's certainly up to you. There is, however, no down side to recording suggestions. They don't waste space. They don't increase wear and tear on the DVR. They don't create any management headache for the user. It doesn't cost extra.

Then may I suggest (no pun intended) you quit recording crap and allow Suggestions to record stuff that is not crap?

I think it very possible my TiVos record significantly more than yours, and by a wide margin I don't have anywhere nearly enough time to watch all of it. The point of Suggestions is not to increase the quantity of material avaialble, although it certainly can do that, but rather to increase the overall quality of content provided to you. It also provides a very powerful tool for managing the content on the TiVo. Anything which your household considers a "must" to record and keep should be set up via Season Pass, Wishlist, or specifically selected recordings. Most people, however, have things they like to watch from time to time, and would like to have available when the mood hits, but don't want to watch on a weekly basis, or at least ones for which they are not chuffed to miss an episode here and there. Individually they are not top priority, but collectively they may be considered a significant resorce.