I searched because I know it's a dumb question, but I still need help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dirk Legume, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Nor Cal
    I just got the HD package and was watching some stuff with my funny little honey and she asked me why sometimes the picture shrunk down to a box and sometimes it was full screen.

I know I should know this...But I don't.

Little help?

2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Not all shows on HD channels are in HD. In that case they will have black bars on the side to show the picture in the correct 4:3 standard screen format.
    For some reason HD channels will show a program with black bars on all sides, sometimes referred to as "postage stamp". I don't know the reason for this, since the original picture should fill the widescreen HD aspect ratio. Someone else may provide some more information on that.

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    When there's a letterbox SD broadcast, it'll end up pillarboxed on a 16:9 screen since it's a 4:3 program, but since it's letterboxed as a 4:3 program it already has bars on top and bottom; in the end you get a "postage stamp" display unless your television or receiver allows you to zoom/stretch the image.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Postage stamp is shown because the show is really a widescreen image inside a 4:3 aspect. Here you might be able to use the TV controls to stretch and expand the image to full screen. However, the PQ will suffer.

5. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    One other item.
    Some movies are filmed in a wider format than HD television. In this case there may be bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Showtime does this. I usually don't see this on HBO which means that HBO is cutting off the sides of the picture.

6. Dirk Legume

Nov 29, 2004
    Nor Cal
    So when a station runs commercials, if it fills the entire screen, then it was filmed in HD and if it shrinks down, then it wasn't.

Thanks everybody.

7. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Except TNT-HD, they stretch everything to fill the screen, wether it is HD or not, including commercials.

phox

8. Dirk Legume

Nov 29, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Well, and this will sound stupid I know, How do you know when it's in HD. Is it appearance only? Clarity of the picture?

9. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Typically it is just the clarity of the picture that sets it apart from an upconvert .