I say bring back PIP!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Feb 27, 2020.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

Now that we live in a world of multiple streaming options, OTA and cable, I feel picture in picture along with multiple input picture in picture is needed again. Want to watch that latest streaming sensation AND keep an eye on the Yankees?? PIP! BASEBALL game, weather and Altered Carbon?? Multiple PIP!! We all complain about input switching...not with PIP. I say..bring it back!!

Keen, randyb359, Mikeguy and 3 others like this.
  2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    you can do that with some sports streaming services/apps. They can show multiple games on your screen at one time.

I don't think PIP was ever widely used. Maybe with today's big tvs it could make a comeback. AT least for sports. But I don't think people are dying to pay attention to the Yankees in the corner of a screen while watching a movie. And you can check the weather on your phone. I can't imagine watching a movie on your tv with part of the screen showing the Yankees and another part the weather channel.

3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    PIP was a great idea, but once you used it a little while, it was annoying. There was nowhere you could put the PIP window where it didn't also happen to cover something you wanted to see in the end. Maybe the side by side mode worked better, but then you had two tiny windows to see

eman926, trip1eX and jrtroo like this.
  4. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    The latest version of Firefox browser lets you pop out a video stream so you can browse other websites while the video plays. If I have multiple monitors I typically open videos in a separate browser window on one of the monitors while having everything else on the other monitors. When I have only one monitor available (working from a laptop, for instance) the PIP feature is extremely handy.

All it would take is for one of the majors (FireTV, Roku, AppleTV) to offer the feature and the rest will fall in line behind the leader. Or one of them launches a PIP feature and no one uses it so it disappears.

5. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

I was one of the minority then that really liked PIP.

But with the demise of "cable ready" analog TV, I think given the complexity, it was doomed. No longer could manufacturers have 2 analog tuners to support dual channels being shown. In today's market of proprietary cable box hardware, limits on streaming simultaneously OTT apps, etc, it makes the value of PIP severely diminished.

6. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    DIY - PIP via Tablet while something is on the TV.

I liked the idea of PIP but also found it annoying since it might be blocking an area of the screen where something is happening that I really wanted to follow.

eman926 and jrtroo like this.
  7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Its great for sports, ESPN has done a nice of it for watching various games and jumping around. For me, the only drawback is that on college football weekends not all games are on ESPN, so would have to integrate channels from Fox or CBS (for now) and there really doesn't seem to be the consumer demand for it. I think if you search the bowels of this forum you can find reference to some old TiVo idea like "sports bar mode" that was supposed to do just that but never materialized in production though I do remember seeing pictures of it from a demo.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This seems like a request to TV manufacturers, and not TiVo. Multiple inputs could not be managed by a current generation TiVo. What I would like is to minimize an app window while working in the UI. Doubt that is possible either, but would be one of my use cases as I see content I would like to add to an OP.

9. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    What's even better than PIP: buy four TVs (they're cheap enough now) and place them in a 2 X 2 array.

10. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    PIP was always neat to try, but a pain to use effectively. Either the smaller picture is too small or it covers up some area of the larger image. DirecTV and some cable operators have aggregate sports channels that tile together similar channels, but those face the "too small" problem. My current TV can do PIP between inputs. I've used it once.

I like using a tablet as a secondary display.

eman926 and trip1eX like this.
  11. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I somewhat recall that there was an earlier DVR that would do it's own PIP type thing... somewhat like the NFL RedZone channel - putting multiple screens on the same single screen (so you only needed one output from the box, one input to the TV).

I'd be happy to see something like that but otherwise it just doesn't seem as useful as having the tablet (as I suggested above) and using it for following the second even while something else is on the main screen.

12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Just the fact that it now can probably be implemented better. Tivo-Hdmi 1//Roku-HDMI2 streamer from your dvd HDMI3. So if the sizes can be adjusted (which was possible in at least one system way back when) which seems to be a lot of folks' issue. The fact that it is a non feature nowadays is nuts. I remember LG tvs with built in hard drives as well as PIP.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most people have a second screen in their pocket they can use to do all of those things. No need to have a separate window on the TV.

14. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    There IS...it's called the DISH Hopper 3, with 4-screen PIP, which YOU can choose which 4 channels you want on it. BUT...you can only do this on the main Hopper unit & NOT on the Joey thin-clients. And all the Hopper's, including the older 1's & 2's do the traditional PIP with 1 PIP screen, that can be moved around the main TV screen.

Speaking of PIP, here is something I saw at CES this year, that I thought was pretty cool...a 4-screen HDMI switcher/Multi-Viewer, that does a 4-screen PIP on ANY HDTV:
    CS-4X1MVU
    I was pretty surprised it retailed well under $500 & it worked really well. You could do several different combinations of 1-4 PIP screens on the 1 TV. Only drawback...you still need 4 separate sources to PIP with, obviously. (ie: 4 set-top boxes, etc.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  15. BadMouth

BadMouth Member

Feb 29, 2016
    PIP was great for watching something else while waiting for commercials to end. My old Panasonic rear projection also had a side by side option that saw a lot of use through college football seasons. It let you flip the audio back and forth with a push of a button on the remote.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    My old Viewsonic TV, sadly deceased as of a few years ago, had a fairly well-developed PIP system: 3-4 different sizes, totally moveable screen location, switchable audio (plat the main audio or the PIP audio). I admit that I didn't use it much, but it was a joy to have when handy--for sports shows, award shows, restarts of my older TiVo box, etc. It is missed.
    Really? There already is a form of PIP implementation with the TiVo Central inset screen, and the channel inputs are there. In fact, it almost feels as if this would be a "fairly simple" matter.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Really OP? The 90s called and wants your PIP back.

trip1eX likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm not sure of the reason for that dislike/antipathy. Just as having a second screen on-screen could be handy in the 90s, it could be handy now.

mattyro7878 likes this.
  19. TK978

TK978 New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    I know its limited but NextPVR (sort of like WMC) has a PIP function that works well.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Huh. I bought an hdmi switch with PIP for $30 on Amazon in 2016. Zettgard ZW410. It can show up to three pips with a main screen. It works fine. Windows are small so it needs a big tv. I use it as a switch for Roku, blu Ray and TiVo into Vizio tv.