I recorded 11 hours of programming Thursday. Is that insane?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by drew2k, Feb 16, 2007.

1. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I just counted and realized I recorded 11 hours of HD programming on my various DVRs this Thursday. :eek:

I'm so far behind right now, but the recordings just keep piling up! What's going to give first ... me or the hard-drives? :p

ABC:
    1) Ugly Betty
    2) Grey's Anatomy

FOX:
    3) The O.C.

CBS:
    4) Survivor - Fiji
    5) CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    6) Shark

NBC:
    7) My Name is Earl
    -- The Office
    8) Scrubs
    -- 30 Rock
    9) E.R.

CW:
    10) Smallville
    11) Supernatural

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You must prioritize.

Obviously, all the shows must be erased except for ER and SMALLVILLE.

There. Did that help? :D

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    E.R. includes guest appearances by Sean Young AND Andy Dick in the same episode.

If that isn't enough - there's perverse innuendo from Roseanne's middle daughter.

He definitely has to keep that one.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Almost as bad ( or good) as you, except, I don't tape Survivor,OC or Shark. I usually keep up with all the hour long dramas, but the Sitcoms get burned to DVD to watch during down time or during the summer

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

Actually I just started that practice this year. Only its in reverse, I am burning the dramas and watching the sitcoms.

Oh and yes, ER is a keeper. Smallville okay and Survivor - normally yes, but this season sucks so far.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Aah, we do wish Survivor was an HD program :up:

But we would prolly just get HD blur-cams then :D

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    D'oh! Yeah ... I record off of the CBS-HD station, but S:F is definitely NOT in HD... :(

As to priorities ... I haven't seen one episode of Supernatural yet this season. That's summer fare.

I'm always three weeks behind on Shark, two on Grey's, and one on Smalville. I squeeze in the sitcoms while I'm web surfing. I'm really liking ER this season, but I have to be "in the mood" to watch it, so that's spotty...

I'm just amazed that I have the self-control to not record that missing one hour from Fox and the other from ABC! If I did, I'd be recording the entire Thursday night network prime-time schedule!

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    There's a reason I have three HR10-250s and one HR20. Each is dedicated to one of the major networks, with CW and others thrown into the mix where I have room.

It is still a struggle to watch it all, though. Only so many hours in a day! :D

9. msdonnelly

msdonnelly Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Fuquay-Varin...
    It must be nice to live in the civilized part of the world. Here in Del Rio, TX Time Warner has always had a bias against Paramount! We never got the Paramount network and when WB and Paramount combined into the CW we got nothing. I'm looking forward to Net-Flixing this years episodes of Smallville & the Supernatural!

10. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Exactly how I do it:

My HD24 box (an HR10) is for my CBS & NBC season passes, so this box is BUSY on Thursday.

My HD57 box (an HR10) is for ABC and FOX season passes.

My Cablevision SA8300HD records CW and assorted programs.

I spread premium HD programming (HBO, Showtime) across the two HR10 boxes, and all other SD programming (USA, SciFi) is assigned to a box where there is no series conflict.

Not enough hours, indeed!

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    My recordings are pretty well spread out this season, at least for the moment...

Mon, 6 hours
    Tue, 6 hours + 2 hours UK
    Wed, 7:30 hours
    Thu, 7 hours + 1 hour UK
    Fri, 3 hours
    Sun, 6 hours

I can't offhand think of any time that I've had 11 hours of recordings from recurring series recorded in one day, and probably not really even very close to that much!

12. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You can always get Supernatural via Amazon Unbox directly to your TiVo soon, too. I'm not sure why Smallville isn't available that way yet.

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Hey dswallow - what do you mean by + X hours UK?

Are you getting British programming somehow?

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    There's several UK series I grab regularly via Bittorrent downloads:

Shameless
    Skins
    Life on Mars
    Torchwood
    Doctor Who
    Hustle
    Hollyoaks

And one from Canada:

ReGenesis

(Not all are currently airing new episodes.)

15. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...

Ohhhh! I see a Doctor Who fan here. :D

16. 979hkz

979hkz New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I always try to watch my hd recordings first. They take up A LOT of disk space.

11 hours of HD Programming in 1 day? Yikes.
    I checked my to do lists for the coming week. I've got approx 4 hours every day with probably 4 1/2 on thursday. (not counting filler rerun stuff and kid's programming). I barely have time to keep up with these recordings. how you do 11 hours in 1 day is beyond me.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, as long as it's not 11 hours every day. If you have a day with none, and a day with 11, that's only 5.5 average. That's the nice thing about a Tivo; you can spread out your viewing, even it up, whatever.

Plus, there's the fact that 11 hours of broadcast is less than 8 hours of Tivo time. :) Even less if you just watch highlights of some shows.

But I think the way to look at it is: These are shows you can choose to watch, or not. If they scroll off, no big deal. Better to have too many (so you can always find something interesting to watch) than too few.

18. 979hkz

979hkz New Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I guess I shouldn't talk.

I have 172 episodes of SpongeBob recorded. Along with the SpongeBob Movie.

:)

19. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I'm too lazy to drag out my spreadsheet but there are almost 70 active SPs over 2 HDtivos. We even record all SD stuff OTA so that counts as HD spacewise :)

Plus there are countless other events and W/L i dont even type out.

oh and speaking of sponge bob..I have virtually all burnt to dvd except the past few weeks worth :)

tivo is literally my 2nd job and i've even taken days off work in the past because of needing to watch stuff ...thats nuts

20. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm guessing there's no drew2k Jr. running around the house. With a couple of kids, I can barely get to the six or seven hours a week I record. Most of the time, I way behind.