I read thru...

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dsnow0819, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dsnow0819

dsnow0819 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    ....some of the posts but I still have a few questions I hope some of you can help with. I am considering purchasing a dvd/tivo combo (I think may the Toshiba one). My questions are:

1. Is Toshiba the brand to go with/does it matter?

2. I have digital cable. Will the TIVO work on digital cable? Is hard to set up? Will the TIVO remote work the cable or do I have to use two remotes?

3. I don't have a phone line. Will the TIVO work on my home netork (I have wireless)?

Thanks for your responses. I tried to find answers in old posts, but there is a lot of them. :up:

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    1. The Toshiba and Humax units are basically identical except for drive size and the Toshibas include TiVo Basic.

2. For digital cable you need a cable box. The incoming cable goes to the cable box, then the cable box is connected to the TiVo. The TiVo controls the cable box using IR blasters. You can do everything with the TiVo remote once it is set up.

3. It depends on what OS is on the box when you get it. Newer manufactured units have 7.2 or better on them, and support networking out of the box. Units with pre-7.2 on them officially require a phone line for the initial setup, then you can enable networking. Worst case you take the pre-7.2 box somewhere with a phone and do a few calls to get it upgraded, then bring it home and put it on the network.

Since you have WiFi I strongly recommend the TiVo branded 11g adapter to keep things simple and get the best performance.

3. dsnow0819

dsnow0819 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    ...for the answers. I can't wait to get one.