I need to turn on Antenna

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by videonut, Nov 5, 2013.

1. videonut

videonut New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    So, my Tivo HD TCD652160 has been running for years on a cable input only.
    I now want to record thru the antenna input as well. I understand I have to visit Guided Setup again, but I'm happy with all the cable channel assignments, cable card setup, etc.

Anyone know if those settings will be retained, and I can just turn on the antenna input?
    Also, once scanned, will my channel guide then show OTA listings such as 2.2,
    11.1, etc?

Since it ain't broke, I'm hesitant to fix it.

Thanks

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Repeat guided setup. You'll have to do that to get OTA. I predict you won't lose any settings. The OTA channels will be 2-1 etc., i.e., TiVo uses a dash rather than a dot. The dash is entered on the remote using the button just below and right of the Slow button. The OTA and cable channels will be nicely integrated in your program guide. (I've been running this way for years on the same Tivo model.)

3. videonut

videonut New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Thanks. That's the confidence vote I needed. I'll tackle it tomorrow when the mind is clear.
    Getting to the back of my Tivo is not easy (poor planning).
    What do you use for an HD antenna? I'm pretty sure this should work, as I've tested from a TV>RG59>... . . . to an extension ladder on hooks outside the house ! ! All available OTA channels are perfectly clear. Just amazing how much better they are than anything Comcrap can deliver. If all this works out, change your name to Cranky old Expert.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    He He .... first time I remember anyone reacting to my moniker, in seven years on this forum!

Antennas aren't actually specialized to "HD" although many ads will say they are. I use a cheap (~$22) indoor directional UHF antenna that fits within a cube less than one foot on a side and sits behind my TV on the first floor. All my local stations are UHF and are located about 10 miles away in the same direction.
    There are a few VHF stations around and they may require an antenna with larger elements, like the old rabbit ears. If the towers are in different directions you may need an omnidirectional antenna. If they are more than 10-15 miles away you may need a more expensive (usually larger) antenna and may need to mount it higher such as attic, rooftop or even a mast.

For detailed info, taking into account where your towers are located, try

antennaweb.org and/or tvfool.com

My antenna is discontinued but here is a similar-looking one at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-HD.../dp/B003IN0GRI/ref=pd_sim_e_10#productDetails
    This is also supposed to be available at Walmart.

You will see there are many different antenna offerings over a wide price range and with different form factors.

5. videonut

videonut New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Hey Cranky, good info on the antenna. I still think I'm gonna make my own.
    You were 95% correct on the OTA activation. The process reactivated a ton of channels I had already disabled. Too bad Tivo doesn't include some sort of Master Spanish Filter Switch. And I had forgotten how long the Guided Setup takes. Too bad it hasn't gotten any faster.
    Now for some A-B testing of Comcrap vs. OTA.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I compared video quality for a local HD PBS video and the local NBC channel, OTA vs. TWC cable. I transferred the recordings to my PC and analyzed them with MediaInfo. The bitrates were essentially identical at about 15 Mbps. There was no visible difference in PQ, viewing either on the PC or the TiVo. Other TWC channels may have inferior bitrates but I can't transfer them to my PC due to TWC's copy protection.

However you can use the Disk Usage in Tivo and the video duration to compute bitrates. For a USA Network one hour show this computes to 10.6 Mbps. This is acceptable HD when viewed on my 40" TV but the slight reduction in resolution is detectable.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Similar to this?

[​IMG]

I built one that looks like this. It's ugly but it gets the job done. :D

8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    due to duplicates appearing in the guide, i removed, then added back my locals using settings> channels> channel scan (not repeating guided setup), with no problems.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    "I need to turn on Antenna"

Have you considered dressing up as a sexy female antenna?