I need to stop watching cancelled shows

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by CaffeineBoy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 25
    CaffeineBoy

CaffeineBoy New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Waynesboro, VA
    Thanks to suggestions from this board I've watched the DVD sets of Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Firefly, Wonderfalls, and this last weekend I finished Dead Like Me. It's so damn frustrating to fall in love with a show that has no future. Serenity helped ease the pain from Firefly, but knowing there probably won't be a sequel hurts.

Of course my favorite current TV show has to be Arrested Development. At least The Office and My Name is Earl look like they'll be back next year and Scrubs has already had a decent run.

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 25
    mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I too watched Dead Like Me recently and wished it hadn't been cancelled.

Don't check out Sports Night either. :)

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 25
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Every show will get cancelled eventually.

Except Doctor Who apparently.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 25
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Just started watching Dead Like Me on DVD, and love it, damn not on for too long.

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 25
    BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    I was pretty upset too! I rented DLM at BlockBuster and I thought it was still on! I was ready to subscribe to showtime :(

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 25
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Well, some will be allowed to properly end rather than abruptly stop.

Even that has to... isn't there a 12 regeneration limit? What number are they on now? I haven't really watched it since Tom Baker (#4 I think).

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 25
    CaffeineBoy

CaffeineBoy New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Waynesboro, VA
    I knew someone would mention Sports Night! That's one I still need to watch.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 25
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I think they are on nine ( I seem to remember there being some debate as to wether Paul McGann and David Niven should count). Despite that they did get past the 12 regenerations for "The Master" though I can't remember the details of how. Perhaps they will use a similar method to get beyond 12.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 25
    funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Due to everyone's superb taste in television, I would highly recommend Boomtown. The DVD set is $17.99 at BB and its sublime.

10. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    The new one in the upcoming season (and from the Christmas special) is being billed as the 10th Doctor.

But it's all time travel based, so if they really wanted to, they could go back and retcon something.

11. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I've had that in my Netflix queue for a while and it suddenly got bumped from the released list to just 'Saved' with an 'Unknown' release date.

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    One of my favorites.

It also currently airs in HD on UHD.

13. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had that happen on a DVD set also. I think it was MI-5 Series 1, but I'm not sure. I got a note from customer service after I enquired that the discs they had available had been lost or damaged and that more were on order, but no information about an availability date was available.

14. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    If you like Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, then you should really check out Veronica Mars -- it's often compared to the last two shows for its sarcastic offbeat heroine and "quirky" humor.

Season one is out on DVD (Netflix it pronto!) and season two is currently playing on UPN (ep 2.11 airs on 1/25). Season three is not a lock yet, but it looks promising. My only consolation to losing Arrested Development is that Veronica should be around another year. VM and AD are my two favorite shows right now.

I would also chime in with the love for Sports Night (one of my all-time faves), but that can wait because there is no need to get "caught up" on that show b/c it's another one with no future.

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Yet another fan of Sports Night here.

My distributor still has stock (WD 27745, UPC 00786936196412, list $59.99) of the set that was released on 11/5/2002. So for those of you who are looking to buy not rent, there should be still be some available to the retail market.

It may be going OP but it's not showing as a moratorium item yet.

Jan

16. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    P.S. while cruising over to TVShowsonDVD.com to look for Sports Night information, I discovered that Here Comes the Grump is coming out at the end of this month.

How's that for a non-sequitur? (If anybody else but me remembers Here Comes the Grump, I'll be very impressed.)

Jan

17. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Not to rile anyone up, because he's right, it is compared to shows of this stature, but it shouldn't be. Its like Dawson's Creek with a cheesy mystery element thrown in. Kristin Bell is awesome but the show is painful.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I've been not watching the news for years yet they STILL put that on..i dont get it. Cancel it already

19. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I honestly can't understand how someone who has seen even a few episodes of Veronica Mars could compare it to DC, but to each his own. I think VM is one of the best shows on network TV right now. It was on the "Top 10" lists of Time, Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, and almost every other TV critic in the country, so I'm not alone. YMMV of course.

If someone likes Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, there is a high probability they would also like VM, which is why I suggested it.

20. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Count me in as a person who falls in love with tragically cancelled shows.

DLM, WOnderfalls, etal. :(