I need some information

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by LoveGardenia, Mar 2, 2020.

1. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I need to update my Premiere DVR, I use it as a backup to transfer shows from the Roamio but I do have an antenna hooked up to the Premiere and one of the tuners is bad. I need a replacement DVR for antenna only ( I have a Roamio Plus which I'm using with cable.) I'm on the fence about purchasing another TiVo DVR because there's too many unknowns concerning the future of TiVo still providing reliable service ( missed up guide) and future DVR's.
    TiVo is the only DVR I see on the market that's hardwired to the TV not completely relying on internet to watch live TV and recorded shows. Is there a replacement for TiVo that anyone could recommend or is TiVo still the way to go?

2. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    First thing I would comment is that TiVo does rely on the internet for the program guide and account validation. That only matters if you do not have internet access where the TiVo is installed. If you are looking for a set top DVR that does not require internet, phone, or a service, I recommend the Channel Master DVR+. These are no longer sold by CM, but you can find them on ebay from time to time. Unfortunately, they cost more now than when CM was selling them.

If you have internet access, I recommend a TiVo Roamio -- only because it's the only model I have ever owned and I am very happy with the hardware. I would not be too concerned about the future. Things change much slower than many fear. TiVo is still the best DVR on the market and lower prices means lower risk. Right now you can get a 1t Roamio OTA with ALL-IN Service for $350 from Weaknees. Plenty on ebay for less.

dishrich and chiguy50 like this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Likewise from TiVo at its website, in its outlet section, at $339.99 (for a refurb, as at WeaKnees).

wizwor likes this.
  4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've been very pleased with Amazon Recast. I'd be happy to sell you the two lifetime Roamios it replaced.

wizwor likes this.
  5. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    <<< True, I know this BUT the best part is it will still work when the internet is down. The newer DVR's on the market will not. They depend completely on internet to view live TV and recorded shows by APP.

<<<< I seen that deal, I think TiVo's deal is better than Weakness ( my Roamio Plus is refurb from TiVo), I haven't had any problems with the Roamio.

<<< If I had the money I would gladly take you up on that offer. But I have some major bills. So at the moment I'm window shopping so to speak.

Thanks everyone for the information.

6. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I like the way you think, using another Tivo as a backup is something I do. A Premiere is a great choice. If MOSTLY just for backup buy another lifetime Premiere, probably $100-150 for the two tuner model. Could even flip in a 3-4TB drive for another $30-80. Great for backups, can even keep it powered down when not in use. And even if Tivo does belly up eventually you can still watch your shows. I am assuming your Roamio is on TE3 so you can transfer back and forth. You probably CAN get a Basic lifetime Roamio (even the cable and OTA capable model) for $200, would then have 4 tuners. Premiere is kind of nice though as it does not use a flash drive, everything is on the HD.

LoveGardenia likes this.
  7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Not sure if you picked up on my hint that Recast is also a good option. Recast or a used lifetime Roamio Basic or OTA will solve your problems for around $200.

If you're really strapped for cash, a $30 iView will do the job although not nearly as nicely as Tivo or Recast.

Personally, with ATSC 3 imminent, I wouldn't spend any money on ATSC 1 hardware at this point.

Another option is to drop cable entirely and replace with Youtube TV, which is essentially what I've done. That way you save a ton of money, still get to record your local channels and don't have to spend a penny on new hardware.

mschnebly likes this.
  8. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I just checked the last software update for Tivo's running T4 ( minus the Edge).. Am I reading the fixes correctly... They haven't done away with the roll back from T4 to T3?