I need some education

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by socaltoolguy, Nov 21, 2011.

1. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    I have been reading a lot here but I have not figured out much. I would love to know more about all the different Tivo's and what you all have figured out as to how to get the most out of using them. How can I get educated on the subject? I am somewhat tech saavy but at my old age, it is getting harder to keep up. Right now we are using Verizon Fios with their Motorola DVR and three basic set top boxes. I hate their equipment and I am thinking about going back to using Tivo. The best. Anyway, before I run out and buy a bunch of new stuff can any of you smart folks give me a bit of help (education) on buying used equipment as opposed to new stuff and how I can best make use of whatever I buy. It seems from what I have been reading that their is much more than just recording/watching tv with a Tivo or two in the system. So, if anybody wants to take the time I'd sure love to learn about them. Thanks for all the great info here. I just wish I could make heads or tails out of it.

Ray

2. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Current Tivo models are series 4. Premiere, 2 tuner for cable and over the air antenna and the Premiere Elite 4 tuners, cable only no over the air antenna supported.

Previous generation series 3 Tivo's can be purchased on e-bay or craigslist. Both models have two tuners, support over the air antenna and HD,

3. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have a little bit of knowledge but it sure seems that there is a lot more to this than just which machines do what. Is there any kind of reading material on this subject? I'd love to know half of what you folks as seem to know about this. I have a couple of older Tivos' that I left with my son and I can get them back. My wife wants to get the latest one out (of course). What I am thinking of doing is maybe getting the four tuner for the livingroom and use it for the main recorder. Then can I use the two older models in my office and bedroom wirelessly to just view what is recorded on the main unit? I don't want to have to pay for service on all three machines. Does that make any sense?

Ray

4. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Another question. What does lifetime mean? Is there something that I have missed?

Ray

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You won't be able to use the older units without a subscription, even to just watch shows from your main unit. Lifetime is a one time up front payment which means no monthly sub fees. The Lifetime sub is good for as long as the unit lasts. Also, if you do activate the older units, you won't be able to transfer HD content to them if they are S2 or S1 units.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Call (or email) your son and get him to look at the sticker on the back of each TiVo (unless you know for an absolute fact that they are packed in their original boxes), and get you the exact model number of each and the TiVo Service Number of each.

Post the model numbers here, but not the TSNs. (You may need to call TiVo with them for info on the account status)

We need to find out what you already have before we plan the future.

7. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    If I remember correctly, they are both dual tuners and one was an 80 hour and one is a 160 hour. I left them with him in 08 so they were probably a couple of years old then. I think they are both series 2. Does that help? The original boxes are long gone.

Ray

8. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Also, neither one was HD compatible.

Ray

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Silver face with big black insert?

They'd be the TCD649080 and the TCD649180

The second is actually referred to as a 180 hour.

The first has an 80GB hard drive and the second a 160GB hard drive.

I'm using 2 of the 80 hour units right now with analog cable.

Well, actually one of them I set up for my mom. It now has 2 1TB hard drives in it, and the other that I use has a single 1TB hard drive in it now.

Neither of those units can, on their own, tune the digital over the air channels that we now have, nor can they tune digital cable without some sort of outside help.

You can either get the TiVo wireless G adapter for each if you have a wireless home network, or you can plug CAT5 into their Ethernet jack and connect them to wired ports on your router.

This will allow you to copy shows from one to another, or, better yet in my opinion, to a computer (via the free version of the TiVo Desktop program) from which you can copy them back to either machine.

If you're going to use them, you're going to have to pay for a subscription for them one way or another.

Apparently now you can subscribe them on a month to month basis instead of having to commit to a year of monthly payments.

If you subbed them and then bought and subscribed a new Premiere, you might be able to then call to cancel the Series 2s and get the $99 lifetime sub offer on them.

You wouldn't be able to copy High Definition shows from the Premiere to them because they only do Standard Definition.

Others here will be better able to advise you as to whether and how they would work with various forms of digital cable.

And we could better advise you if we knew your budgetary constraints.

It also just occured to me that if the second unit is truly a 160 hour machine it might be, depending on how long ago you got it, the Series 3 HD, which can do digital stuff, so we really need those exact model numbers.

10. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Ok, I'll get the numbers and get back to you. Thanks for your help. This gets more and more interesting. Yes, they were 80 and 160 now that I get to thinking about it. Thanks again,

Ray

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    IMO, the best bang for you buck as we sit today to be used with FiOS would be the TiVo HD.

2 Tuners requiring one cable card for each unit at a cost of $3.99 per card from Verizon...plus service from TiVo.

Why i say this..

With the release of the 4 tuner Premiere Elite many people are being offered $99 lifetime service on their TiVo HD's. That adds resale value to the TiVo HD. Those same people can now afford to sell their TiVo HD to absorb most of the cost of purchasing a Premiere Elite. Four tuners being more attractive than 2.

Why did i skip the Premiere? (non Elite) again, IMO i dont think its all that and a bag of chips compared to the TiVo HD. As it sits today, in my house, owning both a TiVo HD and a Premiere (non Elite) the TiVo HD works better than the Premiere using its High Definition Menus. (HDUI) Using the Pemieres Standard definition menus (SDUI) the Premiere is much faster than the TiVo HD but if your not going to use the HDUI what use is the Premiere..really

The thing about the TiVo HD is with the Premieres and Premiere Elites out the TiVo HD is becoming a dead horse, but that dosnt mean it wont work well for many years to come. All it may mean is that you will find more for sale already with Lifetime serivce at a better price than anything else.

The Premieres im sure will still be updated for the next year, maybe two and the Premiere Elite will be the flagship of TiVo for the forseeable future, it is also the most expensive option out there for TiVo.

Having both TiVo's and a FiOS 7232-2 DVR i understand how you feel about FiOS equipment. If money isnt a problem then go with the Elites..newest thing from TiVo with much larger hard drives (more recording room) than the others- stock.

Good Luck!

12. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    I can think of one reason OP may want to consider a TP over a THD...if, like me, OP is a Rhapsody user. Rhapsody is no longer supported on the THD.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    probably should be a general statement that in all likelihood no new web stuff will come to THD and anything that breaks wont be fixed.

So no hulu plus, no rhapsody, likely no amazon prime streaming if that ever arrives, etc.

14. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Ok folks, you're starting to confuse this old guy. Let me ask my question in a different way.

Right now we have a Fios Motorola 7232 DVR and 2 basic set top boxes. We can record stuff in our livingroom and watch the content in the other two rooms. If I want to do the same thing with Tivo, what should I try to buy from eBay or ??? How do I know if what I am buying has the lifetime subscription? And, what do I need to do to use Fios and do it all wirelessly? Also, if I buy three Tivos' with lifetime on all of them, does that mean there is no cost for the Tivo service at all? If I'm reading it right, the only cost to me would be the $3.99 a month for each machine card. Is that correct? I'm just trying to get all this stuff straight in the gray matter of my mind. Another thing just popped into my head. If I have three machines that each have dual tuners, would that give me six tuners to record from?

Thanks,

Ray

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Any Tivo will do this. It is called MRV (Multi Room Viewing).

The seller should disclose this information since it greatly increases the selling price.

Wireless network adapters for each Tivo.

Yup...

Yup Ray but think about it, how will you ever view all that programming? I don't watch everything I record with 2 tuners. If you get a Tivo that is hackable then there are other ways to view content in other rooms so in that scenario you won't have to buy 3 tivo's all with lifetime. That's a pretty good chunk of loot...

16. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...
    Yup Ray but think about it, how will you ever view all that programming? I don't watch everything I record with 2 tuners. If you get a Tivo that is hackable then there are other ways to view content in other rooms so in that scenario you won't have to buy 3 tivo's all with lifetime. That's a pretty good chunk of loot...

I guess I will have to have you explain that to me. Go slow, I will follow. I love learning new stuff. I'm starting to get the picture. My wife wants me to spend gobs of money and buy the latest, greatest 4 tuner model, but if I can save some bucks that would be fine too. I have been looking at craigslist and ebay and it seems that there are a bunch of Tivos' for sale. If someone advertises that their machine has the lifetime sub is there any way to verify that before the sale? And if I don't need to have lifetime on all three machines, do I need it on two or only one?

Thanks to all,
    Ray

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    (now that I have your attention)

Why don't you keep your current hunks of junk for the time being and start off with one TiVo?

You should be able to find a Series 3 HD (TCD652160) for about $50 on Craigslist if you're in or near a medium large city like Charlotte or Atlanta.

Maybe $70 in a package deal with the TiVo brand wireless G USB adapter.

If it's your only TiVo it'll run you $12.95 per month but they don't seem to ask for a commitment of more than one month at a time, so you try it out for a month or two.

18. socaltoolguy

socaltoolguy New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Huntington...

Thanks for the suggestion but we aren't new to Tivo. We had it a few years back before we sold out and went full time RVing. Now we are back in a home and decided to try the Verizon Fios experience. I like everything about Fios except their DVR. It's junk. Nothing compares to the simplicity and ease of use of Tivo. So, I want to rid ourselves of their equipment and go back to using what works the best. But, after reading here on the forum, I have come to the conclusion that what we had before was only scratching the surface of what's possible. But, with my limited knowledge, I want to know and understand what is available to us. So, that brings us to this point. Now, I just need the info and advice to make the informed decisions.

Ray

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Ray, if I were you, I would hold out for news on if there will be a retail version of the Preview.
    The Preview is TiVos version of a STB/streaming client.
    If TiVo releases a retail version of the Preview, you could get the Premiere Elite 4 tuner DVR, and supplement with Previews for the whole home DVR experience.

Right now, the only solution available would be for you to get multiple Tivo DVRs.
    You could get a Premiere and subcribe it. Get the older Tivos back from your son (assuming they are Series 3 or later models) and subscribe them under the Multi Service Discount.

Re: Hacked Tivos.
    If you can find any Tivos already hacked that's one thing.
    But to do the hacking yourself would involve having to have some decent microchip programming and soldering skills. Not something the average person is capable of.

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You call or go online (or telephone) to TiVo customer support, tell them you're thinking of buying whatever the unit is you find, then give them the TiVo Service Number. (It's on the back near where the power cord plugs in.)