I need some advice..

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rachwalj, Aug 28, 2007.

1. rachwalj

rachwalj New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    So, I've been a directv customer forever and I have stubbornly held on to my HR10-250. I just moved to Franklin Ma and I have the ability to get any of:

FIOS:
    Comcast:
    DirecTV:

We called directv to get them to move our dish and they basically told us that the HR10-250 is not part of their plan and I have to migrate to the crappy one they offer.

So... I really don't want to give up TiVo. If I go with FIOS, it's a nightmare (it seems) to get the TiVo to work. Comcast with a series 3 sounds interesting, but again there are some issues.

I really want to tell directv to go f*(^ themselves, to be honest.

PLEASE help me decide. I am sitting here with no dish, watching leftovers from the HR10-250.

Thanks in advance!

2. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It seems to me, you already know the answer to your question. If TiVo is an absolute must have, the only way to stay with D* is to watch OTA HD as well as the current MPEG2 HD channels currently offered. There is apparantly no way to retrofit the HR10 to decode the newer MPEG4 signal. If the new channels are whats most important to you than currently there is no option other than the HR20 or HR21. Your last option is cable with a new TiVo box. You need to decide whether the content coming down th pipe is more important or whether the TiVo interface is more important to you and your personal tastes. Sorry.

3. rachwalj

rachwalj New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Thanks... This is the kind of thing I hoped I'd hear... I'm curious about TiVo and Comcast. I've read some of the posts but didn't really get a sense of love it / hate it.

PLEASE keep 'em coming...

4. longhorn1

longhorn1 New Member

May 6, 2006
    I am not quite sure why they told you had to migrate to anything. For movers connection they say "bring your receivers and leave the dish". tell them that you already have your receivers and all they need to do is install a new dish. then just plug in your HR10-250. if you already have the service, they can't force you to upgrade to HR20.

5. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Bad spin in the game of CSR roulette. Good news is you lost nothing but a little time, spin again. Try not to mention Tivo, you just need the move program and you already have the receiver.
    Not at all. You're talking about going with FIOS and the new TivoHD? That's the best of all possible worlds at the moment. Living where FIOS is available is like winning the lottery.

6. Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    FOIS is really the only option after Directv. Comcast is slow to get the TIVO box out and hoping they will have all the HD content you want is just a roll of the dice.
    With FOIS you get speed and enough bandwidth to get all the HD you want. Plus you just invest in an HDTIVO standalone and keep your TIVO.

As for upgrading DIrectv to the HDDVR. I can only tell you from experience of the last 10 months. It works. Very well. Its different. But its a very good DVR. IT has a lot of great things the TIVO does not have (picture in window while scrolling through guide). It gets regular software updates taking care of concerns we have all had over the last year.
    Directv has been very responsive to our concerns. Now I still have my HD TIVO hooked up to my HD ant. It works great. Will never give it up, but I really want the new HD stuff.
    I came to Direct in 94 because cable was a piece of crap. I still feel that way.
    I have seen FOIS in person (every week at a friends house). I think its the future, but I also know that Directv has served me well.
    Good luck on your choice.

7. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I too believe that FIOS is the future. There is more and more video content on the Internet and FIOS provides a very fast data path that will allow you to take advantage of that in addition to all of the HD channels that they will eventually have. No one else comes close to the bandwidth that a fiber optic system can offer.

So, I'd say jump on board FIOS now, enjoy their TV service and you should be set for all that the internet will offer in the future.

8. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    "Policy" at DTV seems to vary considerably by who picks up the phone. I'd call back until you hear what you want to hear.

If DTV is acting in such a draconian manner towards HR10 owners, I'll bet Tivo, who they have an extensive support contract with until 2010, would love to hear about this, so you might drop them a line.

It also does not make sense that they won't move your HR10, yet they activate HR10s on existing accounts regularly. It would seem if they had a policy keeping you from moving yours, that they would also be not activating new ones and would be actively deactivating existing ones.

If you can't get satisfaction, just move, install a new dish yourself, and autopay by credit card. IOW, keep DTV out of it. Even that (and keeping your HR10) is a better option than the ones you listed.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    So, why not move the dish yourself? It isn't that hard.

10. rachwalj

rachwalj New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm totally ok with moving the dish myself (I just renovated a house 80% by myself), but seeing as I am in the minority where I can get any of the three services, I'm very curious to hear what other peoples experiences are. I'm starting to lean toward Comcast a bit. I have them for Internet right now (and free crappy basic) and seeing the new $299 HD box from TiVo, that might be the way to go. I'm still investigating the FIOS stuff.

Please share your experiences with FIOS / TiVo and Comcast / TiVo....

11. rachwalj

rachwalj New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Thanks for all of the advice... I ended up going with FIOS. I'm not blown away with the DVR offering from them, but it's not nearly as bad as Comcast's box. The internet is just sick on FIOS.

Again, thanks for the input.

-J

12. kashish

kashish New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I am not quite sure why they told you had to migrate to anything. For movers connection they say "bring your receivers and leave the dish". tell them that you already have your receivers and all they need to do is install a new dish. then just plug in your HR10-250. if you already have the service, they can't force you to upgrade to HR20.

13. Cajunclicker

Cajunclicker New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Keller, TX
    I currently have a HR10 and are just about done with my 2 year committment. I am still on the fence whether to renew to get the new MPEG4 box and sign up for another 2 years or just go with FiOS TV. My neighbor has FiosTV w/the HDTiVO and he is happy with it. You don't get the VOD w/the standalong HDTiVO. But the cable card with FiOS seems to be an incredible combination.