I need help!! I can't play this .tivo file on computer!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tymecard, Jan 2, 2006.

1. tymecard

tymecard New Member

Jan 2, 2006

Advertisements

Hi. I have a problem. I started TiVo 2 months ago, but missed a few episodes of a show. Another friend of mine that also has TiVo did me a favor and burned a few episodes of that show onto a DVD. The files are .tivo files. I tried to play them on my computer but it is not working. When I try to play it, Windows Media Player opens it (version 10). At first, I got an error message that said "error downloading codec." So I downloaded al most all of the codecs mentioned in this forum. I even downloaded other DVD player software, like Power DVD, WinDVD, NVIDIA...etc.

Now, after I downloaded the codecs, I tried to play the .tivo file again. Now this time, half of the Windows Media Player screen is just a green color. The other half is the episode, but it just flashes constantly. In fact, it flickers -- I see checker squares flashing. And there is not sound either.

Why is this not playing? I also have TiVo desktop open at the same time too. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Not sure this is supposed to work. To not get in trouble with movie makers TiVo does whatever it can to prevent folks from distributing material recorded on TiVos. For this to work I think the tivo file needs to be converted and a regular DVD burned that would play in any DVD player.

3. thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
  4. tymecard

tymecard New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    nope... MEdia Player Classic was not able to play it. argh!! any other suggestions?

5. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

Advertisements

Tell your friend to burn it to a DVD in a DVD format so it can be played on any computer with a DVD driver on it,

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You cannot play them, and your friend would be in violation of his TOS to provide you his MAK, required to play them.

7. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Try running the Windows XP Video Decoder Utility (free download from Microsoft). In my case, it turns out that I *did* have the right codecs already installed on my computer, but for some reason Windows Media Player was choosing to ignore them.

8. lnd1313

lnd1313 New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    i have a similar problem. i cant play shows that i have transferred from my tivo to my computer. i have tried three different media players. windows media player is the only one that told me what i need but i don't know where to get it. it says "Codec is missing
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the MPEG-2 audio decoder codec is not installed on your computer.". i also tried the video decoder utility after reading the above post but it didn't appear to do anything. anyway does anybody know where i can download the mpeg-2 audio decoder codec? hopefully that will fix my problem. thanks