I need help Directivo freezing up

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cowmommy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. cowmommy

cowmommy New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I just restarted and bought the instantcake software and redid the hard drive. As bad as I hated to :( But it is working now so that is good! Thank you all so much for pointing me to the instant cake

:confused: Back in January I undertook replacing the hard drive in my broken Tivo Because the boxes that directv offers now stink :thumbsdown: Well since I upgraded it averaged locking up once every 48 hours. No problem we would reboot it and it would be fine. Well now I can't get it to do anything right :( It keeps freezing up every few minutes when I hit a button on the remote it takes it FOREVER to bring the menu up. It is a RCA Series 2 running sofware version 6.3e with a Maxtor 80 GB HD in it. Did I mess something up initially that just caught up to me with this upgrade or is my hard drive already crapping out on me? I tried searching through this forum for answers but a lot of the talk just confuses me so I'm so sorry if I'm repeating a question :eek:

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. cowmommy

cowmommy New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I did, but I'm not quite sure if I'm looking for the right thing? I don't know if it is an upgrade issue or not :confused: I'm just very confused on the whole issue..even the live TV is freezing up and it didn't start till the latest download :(

4. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Did you use Instantcake from DVRupgrade? I did and upgrade to 6.3e from the satellite went perfectly. :up: :up: :up:

5. cowmommy

cowmommy New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    i used my old Hard Drive for the trasnsfer, I'm wondering if there was something corrupt on that ...IDK it's all so confusing and aggravating at the same time :( Maybe I should buy the instantcake and start over? UGH at this point I'm thinking about just buying a HD from the web that's already done :thumbsdown:

6. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    HD and SD are two different hardwares. TO fix your problem you will need to buy 2 versions of Instantcake. One for HD receiver and one for SD tivo. that is because software is different for each.

7. jhenry

jhenry New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Both my Hughes Series 2 boxes are freezing up, as in the screen is frozen, buttons on the remote or the unit do nothing. Both are unhacked, original hard drives. We have to pull the power plug to get them to reboot. I'm blaming 6.3e.

8. cowmommy

cowmommy New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    See mine did this some before 6.3e but got worse afterwards. Mine is a RCA. But since I downloaded instantcake and redid the Hard drive with that I haven't had one seconds trouble out of it :up:

9. jhenry

jhenry New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Thanks, maybe I'll try new hard drives. It just seems too coincidental to have them both go out at the same time. But I read in another thread that new updates get written to a different place on the hard drive and can therefore bring the hard drive weak spots to the forefront.

10. cowmommy

cowmommy New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I didn't actually have to change the hard drive, I just had to redo the software. I think something was corrupt in the original software I had put on my new Hard drive. Which if you look at my siggy I don't really know what I'm doing :p I just learned from the school of hard knocks LOL

11. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Most likely, there is a bad sector or more on your existing hard drive. 'redoing' the software won't fix a physical defect on the platters of the hard drive. The only sure way to fix it is to replace the hard drive.

12. snookuda

snookuda New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    theres another post about the software version 6.3e having some issues with freezing up the tivo. Maybe if enough people call and complain about this freezing up issue they will fix it. I thought my hard drive might be going bad but it seems several others are having the same issues with the 6.3e software update.

13. Philo_Beddoe

Philo_Beddoe New Member

Sep 7, 2007

I am having the EXACT same problem. However, maybe my scenario will help or shed some light. I haven't used my Phillips DSR704 in nearly a year (i moved). DTV came out yesterday and hooked me back up. As of late last night I get serious lock up and freeze. My remote becomes nearly useless, and I cant do anything. Even when I go to the settings area it is extremely SLOW. Only a reboot is solving the issue.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, but I could be wrong..

14. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. DirecTV sent me a non-TiVo R15 to replace my constantly rebooting R10. I was thinking of buying the Instantcake CD and re-format the harddrive on my DirecTiVo R10 to see if this would fix it.

Are you still running smoothly without random reboots after installing Instantcake?