I need desperate

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sonnygirl, Oct 6, 2009.

1. sonnygirl

sonnygirl New Member

Dec 7, 2007

Advertisements

my tivo won't connect make any call the yellow light go off. I have Tivo series 2 DT. The tivo hook on the phone jack wall.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm having a little trouble understanding you.

Here's a suggestion-

Unplug your TiVos from the electricity, and leave them unplugged for a few minutes.

Plug them back in and let them come back to life. See what happens.

Sometimes this fixes strange problems.

3. sonnygirl

sonnygirl New Member

Dec 7, 2007

I unplug tivo from the electricity for hours it's still won't make any call. Tivo says "Cannot Connect The Service".

4. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Go into phone connection and see what it says under "last call": Sometimes that can give you clues as to whether it can't connect on the other end or your end. Most likely, it will probably be the other end that the Tivo is trying to talk to because the other modem is not working from the other end.

First, I'd suggest unplugging the phone cord from your tivo and plug in a regular home phone to that cord (so you will be using the same phone cord that the tivo is using) and insure that you get a dial tone and can call out. If you really want to test things; With the same setup call the number that the tivo is dialing and listen to hear if a modem answers the phone (lots of beeping and pinging noises)(the number tivo is trying to use will be listed under "phone connection") Later you can also try any other numbers that tivo can pull up for you as mentioned below.

My 2nd suggestion would be to change dial in numbers to see if that can fix your issue. (Plug your phone cord back into the tivo after you tested it and it works) Go under phone connection, then under dial in number, go through your prefix number, and then your tivo should be able to call the main tivo (800 number not the usual one that apparently isn't working for guide data) number to retrieve available numbers in your area. Preferably select a different number than what you had before and also one that does not incur any call charges. I'm sorry I do not recall the exact menus to go through on a Series 2; maybe someone else will pipe in.

Anyway, basically try some other call in numbers, I know over the years I've changed calling numbers a few times on my S1.

Also I just thought of it, sometimes the tivo has a hard time with phone lines that have call waiting, etc. going on. Unfortunately I cannot remember what settings you put into your tivo to disable those settings when it makes a call. My guess is that it is addressed under phone connection troubleshooting.

Good luck!