I moved, are all my season passes useless?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mastiff, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1 of 15
    Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    We just moved across the country, so the stations associated with my season passes are all different (I'm using an antenna). Do I need to erase all my season passes and start over? I may be confused, but it looks like the tivo cares about which specific station and can't just work from the show's title. I hope my question makes sense. For example, Mentalist is on my season pass list, and is currently on, but not recording. The tivo knows the Mentalist is on, but chooses not to record since it's on the wrong station.

Thanks for any help.

2. Feb 4, 2010 #2 of 15
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Season passes are channel-specific, so you need to remove each and recreate it on whatever station the program airs in your new market.

But you can do it from the Season Pass list... going into each, looking for upcoming episodes, picking one a channel you want to use, and creating a new season pass, then deleting the old ones.

3. Feb 4, 2010 #3 of 15
    sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    But for me they are NOT channel specific, they are show specific...I have a Law&Order season pass that will grab the ep's off NBC, but it's a lower priority than sci fi and fox and cbs so it doesn't usually record...It will pick up the reruns of the 2010 eps on USA later...just an observation...I am wondering if you redo your guided set up if your season passes will re align themselves via Show ID # which is universal despite carrier

4. Feb 4, 2010 #4 of 15
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm. When they did a complete rebuild of the channel lineup here, I just redid guided setup, choosing a new provider, and the season passes updated themselves.... it took close to 48 hours before they updated, though.

How long has it been since you re-selected your provider?

5. Feb 4, 2010 #5 of 15
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Sound more like you have a wishlist auto-record in there, not a season pass; or multiple season passes for the same show on different channels.

6. Feb 5, 2010 #6 of 15
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    From the FAQ:

7. Feb 5, 2010 #7 of 15
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    May work for channels that are named the same. But a lot of channels will be named different when you move from one coast to another (for example even USAHD may change to USAHDP if you move to pacific coast), not to mention all the local channels will have different names as well, so for the most part you are going to have to redo a lot your season passes.

8. Feb 5, 2010 #8 of 15
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Good point. Tribune labels their west coast feeds differently (with a P on the end) so season passes on the east coast feeds would not carry over.

9. Feb 5, 2010 #9 of 15
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    And most broadcast channels will change as well. If they were all named ABCHD, or FOXHD, it might work. But in one area it's more likely to be WTTGDT, and in another location FOX45HD.

But I've seen it work with SCIFI, USA, and TNT, although I've only tried it up and down the east coast.

-Ken

10. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Thanks for all the help. It sounds like I'm out of luck since, as you guys pointed out, the local affiliates have their call letters in the channel name. It has not been 48 hours though, so maybe I'll get lucky.

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I updated the FAQ with the disclaimer for those that are moving, rather than simply switching providers.

12. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I think you'll find that about all of the cable network shows just plain work but as you say the locals can't be matched up.

13. Pafrican

Pafrican New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    That's the exact scenario I had. Moved from PHX to LA and most of my cable shows carried over (FXHD, TLCHD) but all the locals had to be redone (NBC, FOX, etc)

14. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    No, they ARE TIED to CHANNEL NUMBER, not channel NAME. When you assign a season pass to a show on Channel 50, and Tribune sends Tivo an Updated channel map that says NBC is moving from 50 to 60, then TIVO makes that change automatically.

It's TRIBUNE doing the change, not TiVo looking for Law & Order on NBC.

It just stops looking on 50 and starts looking on 60.

15. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    No, they are tied to channel name, not channel number. If you switch from Comcast to Verizon locally, you have an entirely different numbering system, but your SPs will carry over.