I MISS MY TIVO/ Have Fios

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by barb1948, Sep 26, 2011.

1. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Just need to share my tale of woe. I had a SD Series 2 Tivo for 6 years with lifetime service. Couldn't get HD recordings, couldn't record and show in other rooms, couldn't record more than 1 show at a time. Went from Cablevision to Fios as they offered Free HD DVR for the whole house,..Can record in one room and view on all other TV's. Can record 2 shows at the same time. FreeDVRHD boxes for 2 years..... Free boxes in every room, Internet and Phone... For monthly $114 (I don't do sports)..... Everything is working great: Except.. there is nothing like the
    TIVO remote and programming. Fios doesn't account for live shows running long, shows have conflicts in programming even though you have fixed it. You cannot contrtol the Fios FF like Tivo- which started at the beginning of a show even if you went too fast in FF...With Fios, it stops later than you want and then flips to main screen and just just is not intuitive on any level.
    My Tivo knew me. We had a relationship. We never fought, as he was always right, and he just knew me like no one else. I sold him on Ebay for $225!

WHICH CABLE OR SATELITE COMPANY HAS TIVO FOR THEIR DVR ???

2. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Tivo will work with FIOS

3. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Whew... Don't know what you are saying.and would loke to understand more, but for now:

... How many TiVO's do I have to buy to watch recorded programs in all rooms, and you have to pay a monthly TiVO subscription? How much is that?
    And do I still need cable boxes?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Barb, you have posted this in the DirecTV HDTV TiVo forum section, but your questions are mainly in the "standalone TiVo" area. You sent me a PM and I responded with some comments I hope were helpful.

In general, you will need a TiVo at every viewing location, unless you want to get involved with signal repeaters and such. Each one will need its own subscription to the TiVo service. You can, with TiVo's Multi Room Viewing (MRV), copy shows from one TiVo to another if they are all hooked into your home network.

The price of the monthly subscription varies depending on how you obtained the TiVo. Their web site lists monthly service at $19.99 for the first year and $14.99/mo afterward. Lifetime service is available for $499. The monthly prices assume, I believe, that you buy a discounted box. If you obtain a box some other way then you have to call them for pricing, but assume it is on the order of $15/mo. Per box.

You do not need a cable box with a TiVo.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not if the distance is not large. See her other thread.

That is for the Premier, and for a single unit. I believe the Premier qualifies for MSD, if she buys more than one. I do not recommend the Premier, but in her case it may serve he well, since it supports RF controls (the slide remote) out of the box.

Not for a THD or S3. They are $12.95 for the first box and $9.95 for each additional up to a total of 5.

6. cnj29fornow

cnj29fornow New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    MD and NJ
    I have a TiVo Premier XL (no need for the XL, imho) - try getting one, and connect it to your home network (wired, or wireless) - and forget about cable, directtv, fios, etc altogether. Stream netflix unlimited, pay for what you watch (and only what you watch) via amazon video on demand and Hulu. Some shows are put on amazon video on demand almost immediately after they air. Unfortunately, this is not the case with premium channels and their programs (SHO, HBO).

I've been set up like this for almost 4 years and I haven't found a need for cable TV, DirecTV, Fios TV (etc) ever since. I just need my TiVo's - connected to my home network. I've had to wait a bit longer than I'd like to be able to get SHO and HBO shows via amazon VOD, but I've saved literally thousands doing it this way. All it takes is a little patience :) for some of the premium channel programs. This is especially useful and viable if, as you said, you "don't do sports." There's also HuLu, Netflix, and YouTube for Tivo so between all those choices, you'll be surprised just how little you really need a cable, dish, or "TV service" provider.

Sounds like a great deal - the $114 for the whole fios package - just remember that's an intro rate, and will eventually expire. It's worth at least giving it a try. You can always return the tivo for a full refund if t isn't working out for you the way you hoped using internet-only based programming

7. cnj29fornow

cnj29fornow New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    MD and NJ
    Barb, In May of 2010, paid $838.98 for "1 TiVo Package, Product Lifetime TiVo Premiere XL (R74800) with a 3-year extended warranty. I got a multi-service discount on my other Tivo (738.98). Keep in mind that cost included the tivos, a 3-year extended warranty, as well as "product lifetime" support. a little over a year later (May of 2011), I purchased two more tivo Premier XL's with extended warranty and product lifetime support for considerably less money (in May 2010, they were priced higher since they JUST came out).

About a month or two later, I got an email from TiVo: "Dear Valued Customer,

It has come to our attention that due to a system error, you were recently over
    billed $100.99 for your Product Lifetime service. Therefore, TiVo will issue a
    credit in the amount of $100.99, and this credit will appear on your credit card
    statement within 10 days of your receipt of this email."

The idea of DirecTV, comcast, cablevision, Fios (over the years, I've used them all) actually notifying *me* that I was due a credit is laughable at best! TiVo, on the other hand, was honest about the billing error, quick to discover it, and proactively issued me a refund. And - I wasn't even aware that I was overbilled until they pointed it out.

It is costly up front, but, they have *more* than paid for themselves already. Before I had them, I had 2 series2 TiVo's dating back to 2003 and 2004 and they lasted me 6 and 7 years - like yours did.

8. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I love the idea of just Tivo and Hulu, and Netflix.. etc....Then I only pay for internet and telephone service.... But here's the challenge:
    Just saw Terra Nova last night and really liked it... It's one I would like to watch, although does not to have to be immediate. I could wait 3-6 months if I had other fav shows in my queue. Truth is, I watch TV for entertainment and without any desire for sports, almost anything will do, but I need 1/2 or 1 hour shows. Can't always watch a movie and I like US Open tennis ..
    And what is best site for TV shows? Hulu? Or each network might show reruns?
    OH! What about the news? and Award shows...

So Mr or Ms: cnj29fornow, Do you watch the news, Cnn? How do you work that? Maybe you are a teenager and out about more than TV except for sports..??