I might be getting Premiere, but have a few Q's.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by OSXFreak, Apr 28, 2010.

1. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007

Advertisements

So I'm a current owner of a S2 with lifetime on it. My question is this..
    I remember seeing once before a Multi Unit discount offered on Tivo. this would allow me to keep the S2, and but a new HD or what ever, at a discounted rate.

I currently see that the premiere has an upgrade incentive. $200 Off Lifetime nothing off Box. But I'm wondering if since it's an upgrade am I really just transferring my Lifetime from the S2, to the Premiere. So now the S2 is a paperweight?

Or does the upgrade allow you to keep BOTH, and it's treated like a Multi Unit discount?

Also if the Upgrade is not an MUD, does tivo offer such thing? I've not seen this on site yet.

Chip

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    This. I "upgraded" my lifetime'd Series3, and took advantage of 1/2 off Lifetime on the Premiere. Both the Series3 and Premiere function correctly and have service.

One thing to note: Using the Upgrade Program will play hell with your named TiVos! My TiVos are generically name TivoS2, TivoS3, and now TivoS4. After purchasing the Premiere, it took on the name of TivoS3. I was completely confused when I first entered the Tivo DVR preferences webpage, until I took a closer look at the TSNs, and renamed them one at a time. When I tried to just swap the names in one transaction, it didn't take...

3. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orange,

Thanks for the info. Now it's just a matter of finding it for the best price so I don't have to pay Full Price for it.. Know of any good deals out there?

Chip

4. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009
    pretty sure you can only get the $200 off lifetime if you buy the TiVo from TiVo....so searching for some tiny discount won't really help much...

I guess you could use fatwallet to get a little cash back if that's still going on....but that's about it i think to get the $200 lifetime discount...

5. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007

Advertisements

Ahhh gotcha... So no Discount for Multi Units on the Unit, only Life Time discount and only way to get lifetime for $200 is to buy from Tivo.com hmmm
    Ok thanks

6. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    You will still get a MSD if you buy a box from someplace other than Tivo, but you will only save $100 off lifetime instead of $200.

7. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    So unless you find one that fell of a truck and get it for $100 OFF price, then your best to go direct to Tivo for Lifetime deal :)
    Gotcha ;)

Chip

8. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Where are you people seeing this "$200 off lifetime" offer?? I don't see that online nor on the TiVo, itself.... inquiring minds...

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Assuming you are logged on at TiVo.com, and your TiVo.com account has the lifetime TiVo on it, then you should see the option when you add the TiVo through this page.

10. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It's part of the Premiere Upgrade Program for users with existing accounts and Service. The offer is 50% off of PLS if you already have PLS, or a percentage off the Premiere hardware if you have recurring Service payments.

11. OSXFreak

OSXFreak New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    https://www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade.do?WT.ac=tivohome_upgrade_content_body

Log in tot he site with your info and it will tell you that your eligible for a LifeTime subscription at $200 off retail price. leaving it at $199 for it.

Chip

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    OK, now I understand. Yes I was logged into TiVo. But apparently the $200 off the lifetime is only if you already had a TiVo with lifetime service. I don't- I have a month-to-month HD. So my offer is only 20% off a Premiere with no mention of discounts on the service at all.

Oh, but I see they still show my ancient series 1 out there (but not my old DirecTiVo HD) and if I select *that* one, I get the $200 off lifetime offer. Strange, since I don't think I had lifetime on the series 1. Hmm

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You should be eligible for the normal MSD price of $299 for PLS (on the HD), I would think...

14. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Looks like you didn't see the edit I did on my message...

I don't know what an "MSD" is, but in any case, no, it shows $399 for lifetime service if I select the HD to upgrade and the hardware is 20% off.

---
    EDIT: Oh, MSD is "multi service discount". No, the series 1 is not even here anymore. I don't know where it is! I think it died, but I can't remember, since it was near a decade ago :) I guess they know it has not been active, although they still show it. Strange
    ---
    SECOND EDIT: Oh, I found the answer on TiVo's site regarding MSD: "Your TiVo DVR to which the Product Lifetime Service is attached must have called into the TiVo service within the last 180 days to remain eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT."

15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Note that this condition only applies to the MSD. The lifetime on the unit itself does not ever expire; fire it up three years later, and it will get service just fine (as well as re-qualifying the MSD).