I Messed Up!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Resist, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

So the other day I was on Amazon.com and found a third party seller had a brand new Tivo Series 3 for $899.99. I emailed them and said that their price was more than the Series sold for when it was first released. I also said I paid $330 for my Series 3, several years ago and good luck with selling theirs for $899.99. That night they emailed me back and said they had lowered the price to $330. I wanted to order it right then and there but didn't, money is tight during this economy and all. I knew if I waited it would be gone. Well, sure enough it sold by the next day!

I knew I should have bought it. I love the style of the Series 3 and will never buy a Tivo HD due to its ugly looks. I can only hope Tivo will release a nicer looking box down the road.

So some lucky slug got a good price for a Tivo Series 3 thanks to me. Doh! :mad:

2. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    I see a few on ebay for less than that and a couple on amazon for about $100 more.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It sounds to me like you avoided dealing with a shady character. No mess up. :up:

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    No this was not a shady character and it was a brand new Series 3 still in the box. Once I let them know the value of it they adjusted the price accordingly. $330 for a brand new Series 3 is a deal considering you can't find many still unopened in the box anymore. I really want another Series 3 but am unwilling to buy a used one.

5. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...

Advertisements

And you know that because?

I think you did a good thing passing on that deal

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    This wasn't ebay, it was Amazon.

7. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Its a matter of opinion i guess but i do not think the TiVo HD is ugly at all.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well in my opinion the Tivo HD is terrible looking compared to the Tivo Series 3. I would love to have another Series 3 (new).

9. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    The real beauty of any machine is that which it does, especially if what it does is done superbly.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I agree 100% - if the biggest problem someone has with any electronic gadget is that they don't like the way it looks then I think they should consider themselves lucky.

Thanks,

11. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    me either..I think the Series 3 is ugly

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I have one of each. Just went and checked them out to see what all the fuss is about. The only time I ever look at them is when I dust (not that often). Yeah they're different, but neither is ugly or pretty. They're just boxes sitting on a shelf where I never look.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I watch my HD TV using the TiVo, not looking at the TiVo, if the TiVo was a work of art and did not record my TV programs with great reliability I would dump TiVo in a second, I guess some people like the neon lights that some desktop computers now have on the front panel and side window, I like to pay for function not looks, if you can get both great, but I not going to not use a TiVo because i do not like its looks. (until this thread i never gave it a thought, and the 20 or so friends i help install a TiVo for never talked about the TiVo look)

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I agree you partly. Form and function have to go hand in hand. Any that says different is being less than truthful. Any vehicle can get you from point A to Point B, but when was the last time you bought an ugly car? What about a house for that matter?

Both the Tivo HD and Tivo Series 3 are almost the same internally. But the Series 3 box has finer lines and that wonderful OLED. I would love those aesthetics to return with the next generation release of Tivo.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I was thinking of electronics, that output to a TV picture (I do care about) or speaker sound (I also care about), but i do not care about the shape of my speakers behind a grill cloth or the looks of a TiVo on a shelf. A car, home, clothes you purchase are a different matter, if I thought all things were just functional and looks did not matter I would sell my wife's diamond ring and purchase a glass replacement, would do the job (especially if I wanted to end my marriage).

16. Mesickstan

Mesickstan New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    I solved the problem of all those "ugly" components. I covered the glass doors on my cabinet with auto window tint. Still can see displays in the dark and remotes work fine. $120 Tivo HD from Sears clerance looks pretty darn good to me, behind tinted glass or not...

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Either way it looks just fine. There's nothing wrong with the way the THD looks. However, I do like my S3 better... only because it shows what SPs are recording without the need to turn on the TV.

18. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    In the past, components had lots of buttons, knobs, and switches (the more the merrier). The "new" look appears to be much more minimalist. I don't find myself paying attention to the looks, but to the function, as lessd mentioned. My latest computer is plain black, and it does all I want it to do. The only time I look at it is when I need to get a DVD in or out.

I understand that some will like one appearance over the other, but performance-wise, I don't see anything in my S3 to make it more desirable than my HD.

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    And this is an important "Function" of the Tivo Series 3. Since my DLP TV uses a bulb, I don't have to waste any part of its life to make sure my TV is recording the correct program. You see, the Tivo Series 3 has Form and Function. :) If only it had been designed to work with one M-Cablecard.

I suppose if I didn't see my Tivo, then I wouldn't care about its looks. But I use it as the family room clock.

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    I sold my S3s and replaced them with THDs. I wouldn't buy a S3 even if it costs less than a THD.