I May Be Late To This Rant But.....

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MannyE, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Nov 4, 2020 #1 of 11
    MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...

Advertisements

Who the hell likes this new abortion of a GUI???

I only recently switched because I was forced to do so when I bought a new mini. Had I known how terrible the new interface is I would not have bought one of the new minis and sourced an older working one from Weakknees or eBay.

Is it still possible to revert back to the old GUI? I don’t care if I lose shows.

2. Nov 4, 2020 #2 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

After you complete the rollback, the Mini will give you a choice. You can upgrade the host or roll back the Mini. This time select rollback the Mini.

BTW, TE3 is the GUI you had. TE4 is the GUI you have.

MannyE likes this.
  3. Nov 4, 2020 #3 of 11
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Mini follows the GUI of the Host.

-KP

MannyE likes this.
  4. Nov 4, 2020 #4 of 11
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I liked TE3 in the 2010’s.

It’s 2020 now. TE4 is much more modern and appropriate.

Plenty of people like me like it just fine.

And if you do, switch back. You have a choice.

5. Nov 4, 2020 #5 of 11
    MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...

Advertisements

Thank you for the responses. Chris, I appreciate your opinion, and I'm glad you enjoy it, but my opinion is that after 20 years of the most intuitive and elegant GUI Tivo has made something that while undoubtedly more visually appealing, is much less intuitive and seems to be change for change's sake. IMO, of course. I've given it a chance, lived with it for a few months now and I can confidently say it's much clunkier, adds too many keystrokes and I just don't like it.

Maybe it's because I'm on a Roamio OTA and the hardware isn't powerful enough to use it, I don't know. But for example, I'm watching a show and I want to go back to the show list because I just realized I've already seen this episode... left click on the upper circle (whatever it's called)...do I get back to the list...nope... find the back button now... the tiny little back button right below the INPUT button... not paying attention? Oh crap...I'm on my XBOX input now.... AGAIN.

You get it... I don't like it. :)

6. Nov 4, 2020 #6 of 11
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Any user interface can be acclimated to. I do think that TE4 is fine on the Bolt and Edge. The Roamios dont have the processing power to make TE4 work like it should. It is just a tad laggy and I enjoy it much more on my Bolt. TE3 on my Roamio plus is just fine. Responsive, quick. Probably because it was designed with TE3 in mind.

7. Nov 4, 2020 #7 of 11
    MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    That's what I think is one of the problems. The other is that it's just not as streamlined. At least for me. I'm going to roll it back after Thanksgiving.

8. Nov 4, 2020 #8 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Unfortunate thing is ... buying a new Mini (VOX or LUX) doesn't require the new TE4 interface ... unless you're looking for the associated new features.

9. Nov 4, 2020 #9 of 11
    MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    I guess I must have mis-read it when it said the stupid thing wouldn't work without the main tivo having the TE4. I really don't are about the new features. I only use Tivo for OTA. I have a Fire Stick in the second input of every TV which I use for everything else.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, it's been remarked that the wording in the dialog is confusing, and has sent many a user down that path.

MannyE likes this.
  11. MannyE

MannyE Dalek Sec

Dec 7, 2001
    Miami...
    I wonder what the end game is here? Why would a company go out of its way to alienate loyal customers who have been with it for 20 years? That's like a million on 21st century "consumer loyalty years." Who do they think they are? Apple? :)