I love my Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo Steve, Oct 20, 2006.

1. TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.

Advertisements

I'm glad TiVo can't mess up my SA Series 1 unit. Since the 7.3.1 "upgrade", my Sony SVR3000 (Series 2) unit is so slow (and buggy), that it is painfull to use! My Series 1 is now faster that the S2!
    Also, I picked up a Sony HD PVR off of ebay for $200...even though it uses the TVGOS system, it is great for HD recordings (and SD). I am moving my Season's Passes from the Series 2 to the Sony DHG-HDD250.
    I do hope that TiVo will eventually fix the slowdown on certain S2 units before too long or I may be selling my Series 2 on ebay! :confused:

2. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I have an awesome Sony Series 1 sitting in my closet because the modem went out on it. I may resurrect that thing though!

3. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    I'm still totally happy running two Series I boxes, both with lifetime and larger disks. I'm got no plans to "upgrade" or make any other changes for as long as I can.

4. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    I have two series 1 boxes, love them. They're all running strong. :up: :up: :up:

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I don't have any S2s (though I do also watch TV at a friend's house with a DirecTivo)..

But I'm wondering if your S1s have expanded hard drives. One of my S1s takes literally about 12 seconds to get to Now Playing if I've "done anything" recently (like go to menus, etc). If I go to now playing, then hit live TV, I can get back to Now Playing quickly.. but most of the time it's wait wait wait.

The other one isn't as long, but it has a smaller hard drive IIRC.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Do any of you guys know if there's a way to hack a Series 1 so it can work with more recent cable boxes?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    How do you mean? I think their IR database supports the latest Motorola/SA cable boxes, and thats what matters.

Videowise, they only support 480i S-video, so if you are thinking there is a hack to improve that, you are mistaken, as it is impossible with the chips on there.

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

When I said "so it can work with more recent cable boxes", I meant Series 1 TiVos with the OLD software that's not being upgraded. Newer cable boxes could include boxes used with digital cable, ones which may not have even existed the last time Series 1 software was updated. (Would such boxes be supported by the "IR database" on the last Series 1 software upgrade? Or in the software used by an unsubbed Series 1?)

Has nothing to do with SD vs. HD.

We're just talking about the TiVo being able to control the channel changes on a newer cable box. Not with what flavor of video the box is outputting.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Its not a matter of software, but of the IR database, which is at version 222.

The only thing that would be missing , if at all, would be some off brand boxes the odd provider uses , and some IPTV boxes.

10. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    This seems to say that TiVo is indeed updating the series 1 boxes once in awhile!

11. TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.
    Version 3.0-01-1-000 software. Mine was last updated in 2004 (I think).

Since I had to do a Clear and Delete everything to get rid of the "TiVo Party Invite" my staus screen now says "none available" for the "Service Data Download".

12. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    Yes, my series 1 TiVos are at that level too, I just noticed that they must still be updating the IR database as it is the same version as a brand new TiVo I bought this week.

13. Phil W

Phil W New Member

Oct 23, 2006
    It's sad when Tivo has gotten to the point where you fear their system updates more than looking forward to them.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What is the IR version though? It is 222 on my S2.

15. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    My series 1 with 3.0-01-1-000 software has IR version 222.

16. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    And so with the latest IR database on all machines, it appears TiVo does throw a bone to us Series 1 owners once in a while.

17. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Yeah, I now cringe like I sometimes still do with Windows Updates! :eek:

18. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry to go back on topic, but I love my Series 1! My first TiVo DVR was a Series 1 given to me by the fine people of TiVo, Inc. thanks to a contest they were running in 2000. The gal who ran Daily Gossip, which was a daily & punny entertainment news ezine, was a dedicated TiVo evangelist and gave all her readers a heads-up about the contest. (Thanks to ShananC wherever you are!)

After the warranty ran out I added a 125gb hard drive to the 40gb the Series 1 came with. Those two drives are still going strong while I have replaced the drives in each of my Series 2 (currently down and out thanks to 7.2.2 & 7.3) and DirecTiVo DVRs twice.

With the 9/17/2001 Late Show still sitting on the Series 1, I don't plan to ever run a Clear & Delete Everything, especially just to get rid of something not terribly annoying like the "TiVo Party Invite."

19. tab97

tab97 New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Huntsvile, AL
    I've had a Sony SVR2000 since 2001 and I love it. I also own a Humax DVD Tivo and another series 2 Tivo, both of which have suffered greatly under the yoke of the "upgrade". My Humax never locked up or crashed once before the upgrade, now it is almost a weekly occurance. The UI performance is painfully slow and if I get impatient and accidentally click too many times there is no telling what will happen. The performance on my other series 2 is ok, but not as good as before the upgrade.

I toyed with the idea of the series 3 lifetime transfer, but this upgrade (and the series 3 price) made me reconsider. Instead I expanded my series 1 with a 250GB hard drive and put my previously upgraded hard drives(original 30GB and a 90GB added as upgrade) in a box as a backup. I want to keep this sucker going as long as possible!

The picture quality on the series 1 is noticably better than both of my series 2 tivos due to superior mpeg encoding hardware.

Unfortunately, since the 250GB upgrade I have also noticed a slowdown in the UI. I think it is due to the large number of entries in the Now Playing list. The hardware just takes a while to sort a huge list. I used to use medium quality (which is a better than high on my Humax) as my default for all recordings, but with suggestions turned on I was accumulating over 100 entries on the list. I could just disable suggestions, but I kind of like to browse them sometimes, so instead I chaged the default recording quality to High and deleted a bunch of them. I find that If I keep the number of programs down the UI speeds back up.

I'll bet adding a chachecard (http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm) would help. Given the state of the series 2 software it might be worth considering (a bit on the pricy side though).

-
    Todd

20. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

That depends on how old IR version 222 is.