I love my S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by stubarrett, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1 of 34
    stubarrett

stubarrett Member

Oct 30, 2003

Advertisements

Got it as a Christmas present for my family. It works great. I received the automatic upgrade for new features and expect to receive more as they open the box up more and more. It is the core of my home entertainment system.

I have lots of music on my NAS box and I really like to play it using my S3.

Anyway, forum discussions often focus on the negative, I just wanted to say that I'm a happy customer.

Stu

2. Mar 5, 2007 #2 of 34
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Agreed!

TiVo's biggest fans tend to be the biggest critics, and it's often easier to complain than to praise.

But I'm with you - the S3 is awesome! And will only get better as TiVo pushes out the service updates.

3. Mar 5, 2007 #3 of 34
    Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Now you guys will miss tonight's 24 for tempting the TiVo gods.

4. Mar 5, 2007 #4 of 34
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I'm more worried about Heroes
    the wind is wreaking havoc with my antenna reception tonite...

5. Mar 5, 2007 #5 of 34
    synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003

Advertisements

in cartman's words...

"Awesomo"

6. Mar 5, 2007 #6 of 34
    CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Happy with mine too. Been working great. Cablecards working without a peep. Flawless sound and picture quality. Recording reliably. No random reboots. These guys had me worried for nothing. Glad I didn't listen to them.

7. Mar 5, 2007 #7 of 34
    Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    For our dear departed Hookbill, who had a great Series 3 experience.

And I have two of the Series 3 with nary a problem. OTA only.

8. Mar 5, 2007 #8 of 34
    monkeyboy1010

monkeyboy1010 Long Time User

Nov 17, 2000
    South...
    I have 2 S3's (no i'm not rich the second one came to me via a Best Buy repair of a HR10-250 that they don't repair anymore) and love them equally ;)

Looking forward to MRV so i can share between the units!

9. Mar 5, 2007 #9 of 34
    KurtONeill

KurtONeill New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Pasadena, MD
    Just received my cable cards today from Verizon Fios. I love the S3 also. Since the update everything seems to be working great.

10. stubarrett

stubarrett Member

Oct 30, 2003
    I recorded tonight's 24 *and* hero's while watching last weeks 24.

11. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    I'd say I'm satisfied with my S3, especially now that I've got a workaround for the lockup problem I was having.

Even though I don't have an HDTV yet, the picture quality is superb. Straight digital feed for many channels and the TiVo does an EXCELLENT job of downsamping HD to 480i. No wonky cable box issues (like the cable box not being on due to a power outage and missing a show.)

Dual tuners is awesome. We no longer have to even think about conflicts.

Yes, I have occasional dropouts of audio on some digital stations, but I watch TV with closed-captions on, so it isn't a big deal.

Yes, the cable cards took a service call and then another phone call to get working, but they've been great since then.

I'm pleased with the 8.1 upgrade - Now Playing is much faster, though I'm convinced they could make it even faster.

My other TiVo is an S1, so even with the lack of MRV and TTG, the S3 is basically a superset of the S1's features (with the exception of extr*ction since my S1 is hacked.)

I'm looking forward to TTG and MRV (I've got a couple S2s sitting around that I hope will work with MRV, at least for SD content.)

12. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    Add me to the list. I think most of my pleasure is derived from the simple fact that it works and I don't have to baby sit it everyday like I did my cable dvr. Would I like TTG and MRV? Yes and no. I fear if they make MRV I'll end up buying another one for my bedroom HDTV. And while I'm not wishing any delays a price drop before I buy the second one (even more then what I've seen) would be desierable.

13. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    If they activate MRV, would I need another S3 or would they make a dummy unit which can play off of my main S3, similar to what Verizon Fios offers?

14. bananaman

bananaman Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I love my S3's too! Two of them - lifetimes transferred, four cablecards, smooth setup, both work great.

My only minor problem was getting one remote to work two TiVo's, but once I figured out not to do the programming while on the System Information page, it worked fine.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I did the same, but while watching Entourage from Sunday night. Watching the latest season's repeats, getting ready for the next season! :up:

16. CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Antarctica
    HD has been almost unwatchable on my S3 the last few days because of audio dropouts and pixelization events every few minutes. I'm still looking for an HD DVR I can love :(

17. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Philadelphia...
    I like my S3 a great deal. I would love it if TiVo would enable me to put MPEG4 video on it (videocasts, movies ripped from DVDs I own, etc). This isn't a CableLabs thing, as I'm asking to put content *on* the box, not take it off.

18. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    And this your certain is the S3's fault because......????

19. CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Antarctica
    I have the problem on SD channels also but only on the S3, not my S2. Of the people that have compared their S3 to another HD DVR, most report that the problem is only on their S3.

20. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    And you know this because.......?

OK, let's not go there. But I highly doubt based on my experience with the cable DVR that is the case. As I said in another thread about pixelation and sound drop offs I experienced a night and day difference between the S3 and my cable DVD.

Might make an interesting poll.