I killed my TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by SolidTechie, Jul 16, 2011.

1. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Carrying on from the other post...

I made some changes to the /etc/sysinit.config (From memory - I think that's what it's called) file on my TiVo, adding my tweaks to the default setup, including running 2 versions of TiVoWeb.

Rebooted, and these worked.

Some time later, I added what I thought were the correct lines to start NoSound, and SortNP - but these weren't important enough to reboot the TiVo at the time.

As I recall, having looked at the way the other hacks were started, I just added the lines like:

/hack/sortnp/sortnp.tcl
    /hack/nosound/nosound.tcl

I didn't background them with the & symbol, and I suspect that's where I went wrong.

As a result, when the box crashed as a result of something else I tried to do, although the box restarted, it came up with a default ip address of 0.0.0.0

Now, I have it set up on dhcp with an address reservation, so, had I allocated a fixed ip - would this have come back up on the network?

Or has my meddling, prevented it getting as far as loading the Network drivers?

I'm thinking that if the former, I can boot from the AltEPG iso, change the ip address, put it back in the TiVo and then make the necessary changes.

2. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Not sure how you've set a UK S1 Tivo to use DHCP as this used to be impossible not sure if the AltEPG image is able to as I haven't used it?

If you have the ability to pull the drive and boot it with a CDROM then you should be able to comment the offending lines from rc.sysinit.author and get it to start again.

If you're using the standard network drivers then re-running the nic install program should allow you to fix that issue

AFAIK all hacks should have & to background them (though looking at mine some of them don't :rolleyes:

e.g.
    Code:
    /var/hack/scripts/nosound.tcl &
    #echo "AMc No Sound fix running"
    Some disk images if you don't have them are here
    http://www.tivocentral.co.uk/downloads/

3. TIVO_YORK99

TIVO_YORK99 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    York
    The AltEPG image does indeed support DHCP.

4. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
  5. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Yup thanks, already been there, and posted (much) the same question. it seems that my editing _shouldn't_ have screwed it all up in the way it has done, however, i hope I will learn more tomorrow, when I pull the drive.