I just went back to my HR10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bsandy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Jan 25, 2007

Advertisements

I just went back to my HR10, and I'll stay there, until the end of baseball season.

I can't seem to get my HR20 to record my beloved Cubs on channels I get, let alone choosing an HD channel, before is chooses an SD channel.

I also don't have to reset it every other week to get both tuners working, and it doesn't record the same show 3 times.

. . . Bud

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Hmmm... can you imagine someone not liking their HR20?:)

4. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I'm stuck on this whole record the cubs game thing.

:p

5. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I'm assuming you're talking about an Autorecord search, and not just simply that pressing REC on a channel won't record something ...

Try modifying the Autosearch criteria to specify either "HighDef" as a category or "Audio & Video" as the category and "High-Def" as the subcategory. This will ignore all SD channels as long as your RSN or Cubs station includes a High Def flag in their guide data.

6. RonH54

RonH54 New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    I just got my HR20-100 today and I can see now it going to take me a while to "Wean" myself from Tivo Interface and my old HR10-250 unit. I am glad I kept my HR10-250 active and in my bedroom.. :)

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    You guys have more patience than I do. I lasted a week. Never again.

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wow! A whole week adopting new technology. You must be proud of your stamina!

9. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    It's a shame you feel the need to badger people so :mad:

10. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    I've had my HR20 for almost a year, and I still don't like it very much at all. Aside from the feature differences, the HR20 must have an el-cheapo hard drive in it. It sounds like a typewriter banging away. I have my HR10-250 in the bedroom, because it is much quieter.

My HR10 never misses a recording. The HR20 is not as reliable, and still locks up occassionally.

11. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

Wow! A whole year adopting new technology. You must be proud of your stamina!
    ;) :D

(joking)

12. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I got my first HR20 about a week ago after years with dtivo's. Once I learned how to bring up the guide and the playlist I was good to go. Not sure what there is to not like about it. It's different but its a dvr. so far (whole 7 days) I've had zero problems with it.

13. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    I'd have to agree, the HR20 is a perfectly good DVR. However, it is far from perfect. The 30Slip, A list that always starts a top and not where you left off, the sorting within groups, Dual live buffers(I don't care, but, many do).
    I have used ReplayTV, Ultimate, tivo, Vista media center(this could be great with a satellite tuner), and now HR20. The HR20 is my least favorite,but, if that is the only unit that Directv supports with Mpeg4, then we will have to get one if we want the new channels. This doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my 2 HR10's(had 3, 1 Died). It just means I'll use the HR20 to record new and only the new channels.

14. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I still can not get used to only having one buffer and that 30 sec slip is starting to bother me. I dont like watching all that flashing on the screen and you have to watch to find out when the commercial ends. I liked the 30 sec skip much better. I also liked the slow motion much better on my HR10-250.

Not sure these are "showstoppers"; maybe the much faster interface will offset these.

15. jgjackson

jgjackson New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    I think you're way too patient. Any gadget that takes more than about 10 minutes of my time to figure out how to use comfortably isn't worth my time.

16. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have to disagree with the haters, I got my HR20 about a month ago. We love it and have had no problems whatsoever.

17. Bitz69

Bitz69 New Member

Jul 29, 2000

I've had my HR2-100 about a couple months, it has it strengths and weakness's but overall it works fine. My Hr10-250 has locked up twice in that time.

But we will see how it handles the new season next fall, my recording list is moderately small during the summer.

Get one, don't get one, hate it, love it, hate tivo, love tivo it's all a matter of preference neither opinion is wrong.

18. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I know that this was partly a flip answer, but I recognize that there is also a lot of truth in it as well, and I agree more than you might imagine, regardless of the cheap shots flying from other quarters which after considering the source :rolleyes:, I won't even bother to address.

I beat myself to death with Commodore 64's in '82, and while that was loads of fun, there was a hugely-profound "Eureka!" moment when I got my hands on an original "fat" (512K) Macintosh the next year. In 10 minutes I knew that this was the future and that DOS and command-line BS would be left very quickly battered and bloody in the dust. A quarter-century later, when everything from Tivo to Avid mimics (read: stole from) that original Mac interface, I think I was proven right.

It didn't take me a week to dismiss the HR20, I knew the battle was completely lost in under 3 hours. For someone exceptionally familiar with PVRs, GUIs, video servers, and all aspects of video from iPod to decades of being a broadcast maintenance and project engineer, 3 hours is more than plenty enough for me to smell $#!+ when I see it. Really, really bad is just as instantly recognizeable as really, really good is.

But my approach was from a viewpoint of really rooting for, hoping against hope, that the HR20 would be a Tivo killer. I am certainly not happy that there is still only one viable option for an HD PVR and that that one option is getting squeezed out. I don't own stock in Tivo or work for them. I believe in healthy competition and in that it is paramount to providing the best products. I was bound and determined to give the thing a fair chance, and I gamely spent an entire week vainly trying to disprove what I suspected was wrong. I couldn't, and it wasn't.

When I moved from DISH PVRs (ugh!) to DirecTivos in 2003, there was a bit of a learning curve, but I still could recognize a winner pretty early on in that process. It was a bit of a drag having to relearn and change strategy, but it turned out to be well worth it and it was evident early on that it would be. It was also evident early on that the HR20 was about as far away from being the answer as anything could be.

So I can hardly be mocked as someone prejudiced against the HR20 going in, or who hasn't the motivation, the patience or the proclivity to learn a new platform. You've got to know when to fold 'em, too. As you say, an honest week of honestly trying probably demonstrates way too much patience.

19. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I like my HR20.

It's not a TiVo, big whoopee.

I'll never go back to TiVo.

20. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Fine. Yet you seem obsessed with justifying your decision, posting irrelevant comments to every thread about the Hr10-250 with your anti-Tivo crap.

"The lady doth protest too much"

I've made bad decisions in my life and I know the feeling. But attacking Tivo won't fix it.