I just purchased my first Tivo... I think...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hi Ho, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Jul 7, 2006 #1 of 21
    Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ

Advertisements

I have wanted a DVR for years. I kept holding off. I finally bit the bullet on Wednsday and ordered a Tivo dual tuner unit with a one year commitment.

I used my debit card. I do not have a credit card. Having just come out of high school, I do not want a credit card yet. I am under the assumption that a debit card can be used anywhere credit cards are accepted. I have made several purchases at Newegg and have had no issues. Anyway, after I completed the process the charges immediately showed up on my Key Bank checking account.

Today I was able to login to my Tivo account and when I did, I got the following mesage when I tried to go to the "Activate account" or "Change Service Number":

The balance due under billing history is in red. Is there something wrong here? Is using a debit card not possible at all? I know credit cards are recommended for online purchases but I trust Tivo. I have only used my debit card online at one other store, Newegg, which I also trust. If I absolutely have to, I guess I can get a credit card but I'd rather not.

2. Jul 7, 2006 #2 of 21
    aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    dont know about your situation but debit cards definatly work with Tivo as long as they have either the MC or Visa logo you should have no problem...make sure you have sufficent funds

3. Jul 7, 2006 #3 of 21
    Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Hmmmm... Maybe it's just a matter of time. It is a Key/Mastercard and I definetely had/have sufficient funds. I'm looking at my checking account right now. The Tivo charge is under "Pending activity" on the Key website. Maybe that's why? I'll just wait till Monday and see what happens. Thank you for the very quick reply. :)

I have another question. Has anyone ordered their DVR directly from Tivo? How long did it take to ship? I'm not the most patient person when it comes to online orders but I don't mind waiting for free shipping as long as it's not too long. It's been two days. Maybe I'm completely spoiled by Newegg which almost always ships on the same day.

4. Jul 7, 2006 #4 of 21
    chibul923

chibul923 New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I ordered mine on Monday, July 3 - it shipped on that day, and I received it on Friday, July 7. Pretty good, considering the holiday and all.

5. Jul 8, 2006 #5 of 21
    bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA

Advertisements

I also think it depends on where you live. My Tivo was shipped from Texas (I'm not sure if Tivo has multiple shipping warehouses), and I live in California. It took 6 days from when I ordered it.

I was hoping since Tivo headquarters is in San Jose, and I live two hours from them, that I'd get it much sooner. Not sure why they ship from Texas.

6. Jul 8, 2006 #6 of 21
    Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I think I just found a problem. I noticed it says the expiration date is 2008, my card says 2009. I was pretty sure I put 2009. Now, there is the option of changing my card info. If I change it, will it charge my card again? I'd have to re-enter everything.

7. Jul 8, 2006 #7 of 21
    tmj

tmj New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Jacksonville...
    Your initial funds authorization was successful as evidenced by your pending transaction. I imagine that amount is for the DVR itself. How did you pay for service? Was it a 1 yr. prepay or did you choose a plan once establishing the Tivo account? You probably just need to update your check card info on your Tivo account. Then, Tivo will be able to successfully charge your account for the subscription plan you chose.

I use my check card for my payment plan, so you should not need to apply for a credit card.

8. Jul 8, 2006 #8 of 21
    Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The initial funds included the $30 dollar fee for the DVR and $19.95 for the first month of service, totalling $49.95. I fear that If I "change" my card it might try to charge that again. That would overdraw my account (I get paid next week).

9. Jul 9, 2006 #9 of 21
    Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Well, Tivo charged my account twice. My account has now been overdrawn. :mad: I will be calling them as soon as I get the chance.

10. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    If you tend to have your check balance hover under 50 bucks before payday, it's probably a good idea to get a credit card to cover charges like that. Did you change your card info on the Tivo site to cause it to bill twice, or did it do it on its own?

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Couple of things -

You don't need to "Activate My Account" or "Change Service Number" - when you get your Tivo, it will be pre-activated.

The "We're sorry/past due" message likely came up because the account is new and the initial charge hadn't been settled yet. The message will go away when the initial $49.95 charge is settled (which for a debit card, should be the next business day, e.g. Monday).

As for the duplicate charge - it may be a hold, not a charge. But call Tivo and make sure. If there is an error, call your bank ASAP.

(Welcome to the Tivolution!)

12. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I don't normally have it that low.

I did not change my card info. I was gone since 7 AM and got home at 1 AM. This was on a Saturday. When I checked at 1 AM sunday I found the duplicate charge.

I know I don't need to activate my account or change the service number. I was simply clicking on the options on the side to see what happened.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Every time I have ordered a TiVo from tivo.com I get that message. I think it is normal and will go away after a few days. I would wait a few days before you call customer support.

14. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I called Tivo about the double charge today and they said the first one was a "check" to make sure there was money in the account and that it should dissapear by Monday. As long as my bank doesn't charge me an overdraft fee I'll be fine with that. If I end up getting charged a $38 overdraft fee then I will not be happy.

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I just ordered another Tivo refurb from their site. My last one (prior to the lifetime option going away) came with a certificate that I used to activate the box. I was curious if my new refurb would be the same or will it also be pre-activated?

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    FYI, it was pre-activated.

17. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The bank situation cleared itself up and I was not charged an overdraft fee. :)

My Tivo came today and I am really enjoying it. The only problem I have is that it doesn't have the latest software which fixes the "no stereo bug". I got it up to version 7.3 but even after forcing a connection several times I cannot get 7.3.1. How do I get the latest firmware? Do I simply have to wait?

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    http://research.tivo.com/73.1priority/

19. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I did that and it got me up to 7.3. It says it may take up to three days to get an update. That doesn't make any sense to me. It takes seconds to download over broadband.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Tivo has staging servers. Somebody will eventually put your box's # on the "list" to get the software. Imagine what would happen if everybody downloaded it at one time. :eek:

Last year when Tivo2Go first came out everybody signed up immediately. It tooks them weeks if not months to work their way down the list! The difference between signing up within the first couple hours versus a couple days was incredible. And created a lot of frustration round here. ;)