I just got my first Tivo (S3)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by qz3fwd, Oct 14, 2007.

1. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007

Advertisements

I took the plunge today and bought an S3 from BestBuy today-had them price match CircuitCity for 599 and will submit the rebate for 200 bucks, resulting in a S3 for 399. A bit more expensive than the THD but looks much nicer, has a much nicer remote, and bigger hard drive.

This is my very first Tivo. Wish me luck.

I was going to waith until the MRV/T2G functionality in November, but couldnt wait.

I hope to god I am not going to be disappointed.

Can you set a static IP address for the Tivo?
    Is there any way for it to access my Infrant ReadyNAS's to playback HD transport streams (Mpeg2)?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Static IP - yes. Playing back mpeg2 transport streams I don't think so - you probably will have to convert to mpeg2 program stream and then may be able to playback via Tivo Desktop once MRV/TTG/TTCB are activated. i.e. You run Tivo Desktop on your PC and then serve mpeg2 program streams from your PC to your Tivo.

3. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    What protocol does the Tivo Desktop use to stream content to the Tivo box?
    Is it documented or black box proprietary streaming protocol?
    I would like to see if there is a way to elimenate the PC acting as a media server.
    Surely the Tivo can playback ts's since that is what it records off digital tv.

When I activate the unit, will it automatically update to the apparently bug ridden 9.1 software? Is there any way to prevent this?

If I hookup both ATSC and QAM coax cables, can I seamlessly switch tuners between OTA and Cable or do I have to do a channel scan whenever I do this?

4. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Totally seamless... actually almost too seamless. You'll have duplicates of matching cable channels and OTA channels