I just bought a HDTV & I still want to use Tivo with Directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Norm3, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Norm3

Norm3 New Member

Jul 18, 2004

Advertisements

Any suggestions. I know that Directivo is being fazed out of Directv. But my old SD Directivo is just not good enough with my new HDTV.

2. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    If you want the new HD channels, you have to use the DirecTV HD boxes.

There is no other option. Sorry....

3. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Only way of getting the new channels is with the HR2X series. If you want to continue using a HR10 series it will work fine for old HD channels, OTA and SD channels.

Be aware that the High Definition sections of premium sports packages are being phased over to MPEG4 so that the HR10 will not be capable os recieving them.

As far as obtaining a HR10, try EBay or I believe that someone posted here you can buy one over at

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php

4. incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    HD premium sports packages .... NFLST, BASEBALL etc will still be available on old boxes in SD.

5. Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle WA

Advertisements

I feel your pain and if you want an HR10-250 DirecTiVo keep an eye out on eBay for mine. The old HD channels +OTA HDs are good but with all the new HD channels out in the past few months I'm starting to feel left out. I'm about to take the plunge to cable (ack!) and pick up a two or three TiVoHDs. At least with the TiVo HD I'll be able to port the hardware to FiOS down the road. So two HR10-250's and a couple of SD TiVo 2.5 DirecTiVo's will be up for sale.

6. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I use a HR10 for OTA HD as my primary DVR. The dual tuners, 30 skip and Slow Motion make it my favorite (especially for sports). I also use it to view live TV since I can easily switch between two buffered channels.

Then I have my HR20 setup to only show HD channels, of which there are about 3 that I record consistently.

7. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I want to do exactly the same thing you did (hopefully with an HR20). What kind of deal did you get and how much gaggling did you have to do?

8. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    how silly of me in a HD discussion to forget that there is still a SD section. But hey, thanks for pointing it out.

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    This is very temporary. Sunday Ticket will be all MPEG4 in 2008, as will Nascar. Baseball is likely to be as well but I'm not certain on that one.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Yeah, the HR10 unmodified is only $1199 at Weaknees. Of course, you do get free shipping.

11. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    The HD channels that carry these will be MPEG4 but they will still be carried on SD channels as well.

12. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    I've been a Directv Tivo fan since 2001. My license plate on my car says Mr. Tivo because I've converted so many people to Directv with Tivo. It was a gift from my brother and sister.

That said, if you want HD content, Directv is by far the best option with cable being a distant third. I got an HR20 a couple of months ago and really like it a lot. I have a Tivo Series 3 that I intended to use for local channels, which is most of what I watch. I got the Tivo Series 3 about 13 months ago.

After using the HR20 for 6 weeks and getting the software upgrade that has 30 second skip, I added season passes to the HR20 for all my network shows. My daughter still uses the Tivo, but I actually prefer the HR20. I like the caller ID feature and the ability to edit the to do list and look for new programs while I am watching a show.

Once you get used to the differences between the Tivo and Directv interface I think you will be happy with the HR20 or HR21. They work great. They do some things that Tivo doesn't do and lack very few features that Tivo has.

13. urkel-Os

urkel-Os Teh Cereal

Oct 23, 2005
    Howard...
    What do you think is the second best option? OTA? E*? FiOS? I've got standard definition Directv and OTA HD, but will probably be switching from Directv to FiOS. Comquack is also available, but that just ain't gonna happen again. Ever.

14. Bodie

Bodie Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Honolulu
    Reminds me of a story my father told me when I was a teen about letters back and forth between a father and son who had just gone away to school.

Dad,
    No money, no funny.
    Your Sonny

Son,
    Too bad, I'm sad.
    Your Dad

15. virent

virent New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    If I replace my SD DirecTivo DVR with an HR10-250 from ebay ,will I be automatically signed up for a new 2 year contract?

16. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Why waste the money?

Literally you'll get a handful of HD channels (6?) and only for a few months, if that. Eventually they will be shut off.

I'd stick with your SD box if you want Tivo with your DirecTV.

If you want HD, you have to go with a DirecTV box. Or switch to another provider if you want to keep Tivo.

Sorry....

17. virent

virent New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    I already have an existing HR10-250 in use, this way when I upgrade to HR20 I will get two of them free in the upgrade offer from DirecTV, instead of paying $299 for the second HR20.

18. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    No, I don't think it works like that.

They obviously know what equipment you've been using, and for how long.

Adding a second HR10-250 and then two weeks later requesting a free upgrade for the same box will likely not happen, even DirecTV isn't that crazy.

But whatever you do, you better hurry. The changeover is already starting to happen:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=381363

19. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Just so you are aware, effective the 10th the price was lowered to 199 on the HR21 box.

20. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I also saw HR21s at Costco on Saturday for $169.