I have to call to cancel?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dsa1971, Mar 21, 2016.

1. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008

Advertisements

<rant>
    I find this very annoying. I'm cancelling because I just don't like paying the cost of tivo anymore and the xinfinity x1 works perfectly well for me. I really don't care for forcing me to call to cancel a service. I don't want to explain why I'm canceling or hear a sales pitch.
    </rant>

I will miss tivo but not the monthly cost.

2. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Good luck with your X1. What box are you canceling? Let us know that and what they offer you to try to keep you. Most people on this forum buy lifetime and do not have a monthly fee.

3. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Unfortunately, this is how it works for must companies these days. They make it as hard as possible to cancel, making you call in so they can throw great deals at you, to try and keep you.

Deals, that if they had offered them once in a while, while you were a full paying customer, would maybe have stopped you from wanting to cancel in the first place.

kettledrum likes this.
  4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I agree about calling. IMO any company that can do orders online should let you cancel online. Make sure you get a confirmation # and check your card the next few months for charges.

What is the x1 costing per month. In my area as a first box it's $10 because they add a HD fee. Now add another dvr and that will cost you $20. Or another regular box will be at least $7.95 per outlet non HD. Frankly with the mini it's cheaper to use Tivo.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000

Advertisements

I was going to ask the cost as well. My in-laws have Comcast with the X1 and pay about $20 a month for their DVR and it's their only one. Tivo is actually cheaper. Same for me when I had Charter. After the initial deal runs out it would be $19 a month for one HD DVR.

But if you're getting it free or included then sweet deal.

6. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Can you delete your credit card on their website before you call ? Credit card statements will need to be watched.

7. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I've had two S3 TiVos for years now. One has lifetime and the other was mirrored for $6.96 per month. The mirrored S3 died of capacitor failure years ago but I didn't bother to cancel service as I expected to eventually get it fixed. My credit card number recently changed and TiVo sent me a notice that my account was overdue. I replied that I wanted to cancel service on that TiVo. They said they could not accept termination requests via email and that I had to call. A couple of weeks later I got another email that they were going to send my account to a collection agency for the $6.95 that I owed. At the same time I also received an email saying that they had cancelled service on my dead S3. I updated my credit card info with TiVo so they could charge me for the outstanding balance. Hopefully that is the end of that. I still use the Lifetimed S3 to record OTA, but I have DirecTV DVRs throughout the rest of my house.

8. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    I tried the X1 and couldn't switch back to TIVO fast enough. X1 menus poorly laid out with extra steps to do the simplest of functions. The program guide was hard to read, at least to me. To date the TIVO UI is the best I have encountered.

In regards to cancelling, yes you must call and they will offer deals to keep you. They may offer a deal too good to pass up.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yep. It's all about customer retention. They want to know why you're canceling just in case there is anything they can do to remedy the problem instead.

10. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    So instead of the customer picking or typing in a reason, someone at TiVo n enters it. An (In?)efficient way to annoy customers.

11. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    You are canceling. You are either already annoyed or wanting something. It makes perfect sense on the business side to make customers call.

12. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Try telling them you have difficulty hearing on the phone. That often works for me (and is unfortunately true)

13. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I just cancelled Spotify online. The form asked why, the response I clicked on was something like - don't use it enough to justify the cost.

There Nothing annoying about their service nor their way to cancel. Result = a perfectly happy ex-customer. One that would Not badmouth the company and one that would sign up again if circumstances changed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  14. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    That's a little different. They most likely do not have any promotions they will offer you to keep you. If they get enough responses that price is to high they might look at that. But they aren't going to offer you that to stay. But allot of companies like cable and telcos offer incentives to keep customers. They factor in allot of things that most don't have a program to do and that is why they have a retention's department. Go over your history and see if there is a deal they can do. Even credit card companies do this. Offer a lower APR. Transfer deal or higher credit limit if you threaten to cancel. Some just say OK its canceled.

But to sum it up I would say 90% of companies require you to talk to someone to cancel a service or product.

15. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm getting dvr for free. Now paying $10 for the other hd digital box.

16. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I actually like the x1 ui just fine. I'm sure if I bought the TiVo bolt I would be just as happy. I had older TiVo premiere which was far slower than the Bolt I'm sure. And even though the on demand worked with Comcast that experience sucked. but for me I didn't feel like paying for a TiVo bolt + subscription + TiVo mini.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They want to know the reason before you cancel in case the reason is something they can help you with. If all they did was read answers typed in to an online form they'd have to call you back and convince you to resubscribe if the issue was something they could help you with. It's more efficient to just have you call to cancel.

18. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The DVR is free but I bet they add $10 for HD. Keep an eye out for that on your bill. I've never seen Comcast give out a dvr for free that wasn't on a time limited promotion.

19. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I asked for and received $99 lifetime on my Roamio Basic. Piece of cake. No more monthly fee. If you can do this, your TiVo will fetch more if you sell it.

As far as retention people. Last year I had my annual fee waived for three credit cards, received a 1,000 per month mileage bonus on one card and had one feature taken from a card that I've never used. Gearing up for a repeat as my three cards are going to charge me my annual fee. I'm interested to see what they will offer this year. I got the first 1,000 mileage bonus for 16 months and a second additional 1,000 mileage bonus one year later also for 16 months, so I was getting 2,000 bonus miles for 4 months.

20. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I keep an eye on my bill every month. They mess it up almost every month. Yes it's part of a 2 year deal but when that 2 year deal ends there will be another. They're not charging me $10 for HD.