i have tivo series 2 and comcast HD w/cable box. how do i set up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by loyoladoc, Jul 11, 2007.

1. loyoladoc

loyoladoc New Member

Sep 13, 2006

Advertisements

i just moved to a new place and got a sweet tv, so now i have comcast HD service (with a cable box and everything). i have no clue how to set up my (old) tivo series 2 to this. is it even possible to maintain the HD channels with the old tivo?

i have 2 more years left on my prepaid tivo account and i can't really afford to buy the newer HD tivo. (sorry if i'm using incorrect terminology, i'm really new to all this.)

from the tivo setup instructions, in simplest terms, i know you're supposed to hook the cable box up to the tivo, and the tivo connects to the tv. but there are 5 AV cables (not sure if that's the right term) in the back of my cable box going to the tv, and there is no such input on my tivo.

how do i proceed? help would be greatly appreciated as my tivo has been sitting in the corner collecting dust for the past 3 weeks :(

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  3. loyoladoc

loyoladoc New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    thanks for the info. i figured the tivo wouldn't be able to pass the HD signal....damn.

4. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd get a 2nd SD cable box or get a series 3 tivo for HD and toss the cable box to get cable cards.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

You can purchase the Series 3 (or Series 3 Lite when released), and switch that to your remaining pre-pay.

6. loyoladoc

loyoladoc New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    i don't know what that means.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It means, get an SD cable box for the TiVo to exclusively control and record from, and leave the HD box for watching HD and other content direct. Or dump it all for one Series 3.

8. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Does that mean that if I have an an HDTV plus an HDTV cable company recorder, that I cannot record ANY shows on a Series 2 TiVo or that I cannot record any DIGITAL shows on a Series 2?

Would I be able to record and view at all?

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You will be able to record all the analog channels on the Tivo. Just put a cable splitter before the cable box and run a new coax to your old Tivo, then use s-video and R/W audio to one of your TV inputs.

Another option: In less than a month you will be able to buy the new Tivo-lite for $299 and use it for all your recordings, and probably be able to transfer your prepaid subscription to it.