I have TiVo and no an internet USB stick, an iphone 3GS.. but no phone or wireless

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by emily9226, Jun 16, 2011.

1. emily9226

emily9226 New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi all,

I need your help urgently!! I got given a TiVo off my boss. I am in love and can;t use it yet because I can't work out how to activate it and watch freeview without having a wireless network or phone line. All I have is my iphone 3GS and an internet USB that i plug into my laptop for internet.

What are my options??

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP! :)

2. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Freeview means you are in the UK, right? I thought TiVo was ending their service there. Check the UK forums here for more information.

My apologies if I misunderstood you. :)

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    With the mention of Freeview, does this mean you're in the UK? There may be some suggestions/solutions found here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

4. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    At the moment, the "official" dialup number for the UK has been rendered inoperable, but folks with an ethernet interface continue to receive updates. There's also an effort to provide an alternate program guide service, now that the UK folks are no longer bound to TiVo's Terms and Conditions.

5. emily9226

emily9226 New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    No I am in Australia

6. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Do you know what model of TiVo you have?

There's an Aussie forum, too! http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=66. You may want to ask about "tethering" your iPhone to your TiVo in that forum. I think who your phone's service provider has an influence on whether "tethering" is possible or not, and those folks would/could be more knowledgeable in that regard.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You need to use your computer as a bridge between the USB wireless stick, and the network the TiVo expects to see. The TiVo connects to the computer's LAN, probably wired. You can, at least in the USA, get routers which directly accept some wireless sticks, and personal WiFi hotspots.

For others, Australia/New Zealand use a version of the TiVo HD.

8. emily9226

emily9226 New Member

Jun 16, 2011

Thank you so much !!!

So do you think that all I need is a cable to connect my laptop to the TiVo??

I will visit the Australian forum now.. Thank you :D

Emily

9. donniesd

donniesd New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    You could also Jailbreak your iphone and use it as a mobile hotspot. And get a TIVO approved wireless adapter.

Or get a cheap android phone running 2.1 and put your sim in it when you want to update.