I have the "no sound" problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by AWT, Oct 15, 2007.

1. AWT

AWT New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK

Advertisements

Has anyone worked out a fix for this "no sound" after a reboot?

I had to swap a failing HDD last weekend so I replaced the Samsung 400GB with a Seagate 500GB. My Tivo also has a 512MB Cache card.

Prior to the Seagate, a warm boot would fix it. With the Seagate, even after a few warm boots there's still no sound.

Here's a snip of the kernel.log:
    Code:
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: I2C arbitration error at address 0x88. 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) last message repeated 2 times
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: error reading MSP HW ver. 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: MajorRevCode Version 0x0 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: I2C arbitration error at address 0x88. 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: error reading ROM ver. 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: ROM Version 0x0 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: ProductCode = 0x0 
    Jan 1 00:03:15 (none) kernel: Msp: *** Unknown MSP product!!! ***0x0
    Any ideas, please?

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Try increasing the voltage on the 5V line by turning the blue pot on the PSU clockwise a few degrees. If you have a multimeter you can measure it via the spare molex from the unused drive and take it up to about 5.3V max.

3. AWT

AWT New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks blindlemon, that appears to have done the trick.

The +5v supply was at 5.02v and I adjusted it to 5.25v - I wasn't brave enough to go as far as 5.3v! The +12v supply was at 11.86v and I think it ended up at 12.3v.

It still needed a warm boot to get sound working but I'm just happy (and grateful) to leave matters there. :)

Incidentally, ISTR seeing someone advertising a Cachecard with new Silicondust software that cures sound problems. Does anyone have any more info on that?

Edit: D'oh, found it http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm

Now shipping CacheCard firmware version 2.2!
    Changes between firmware rev 2.0 and rev 2.2:
    - Eliminates the problem of loosing sound and/or video on some SA TiVo's.
    - Eliminates voltage sag measured on some TiVo's.

Is there a user upgrade to version 2.2?

4. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Good stuff :up:

When did you get your cachecard? The 2.2 firmware fix came out a couple of years ago at least so you probably already have it....

5. AWT

AWT New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK

Advertisements

I bought it 2nd user about a year ago from a US seller on eBay. ISTR the date string on the splash screen at boot having "2005" in it.

6. qwiki

qwiki 8 R/C's and counting

Feb 28, 2002
    I've had the no-sound problem for years and didn't relalise there was a fix until I found this old thread recently.

My cachecard has v2.0 in the lettering as part of the PCB trace and a white sticker saying v2.2 on it. The card was imported from 9th Tee many years ago by myself.

Today, I had the Tivo in bits to replace the 512MB memory module, which had failed some time ago. The new module works fine btw, but while I had the case open, I thought I'd try this fix for the audio.

The 5v line was showing 5.02v on the spare drive connector. So I turned it up to in increments (5.15v, 5.20v, 5.25v and finally 5.3v) and rebooted each time. Every time I had no audio from a cold boot and in the final 5.3v setting doing a warm restart failed to bring the audio back, even after 5 consecutive warm restarts. So, I set the voltage back down to 5.02v, cold booted and again got no audio (as expected) then warm restarted and back it came just like it always used to. I tried this sequence of cold and warm boots a second time and it was repeatable - no worse than before todays procedings, so on went the case and thats how I've left it.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about fixing this anoyance permanently?

Thanks in advance.

7. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I think it was all down to a unstable 5volts at power on, for a few hundred microseconds, this caused the sound chip not to initilise, hang on power up?????

If you can get your hands on a new PSU, or try a friends, that appears to fix the problem.

8. qwiki

Feb 28, 2002
    Thanks for that.

Are new PSU's built to a different (higher?) spec, or is it just the internal tolerences that vary slightly between them which 'might' cure it?

9. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    PSUs degrade as they get older and the big smoothing capacitors dry out. Eventually they go out of tolerance and/or get flaky and die. This happens a lot faster when they are in use 24x7 in a hot TiVo than in storage.

The new PSUs available from various sources are all new, unused stock from the original Series 1 manufacturing run, so they're a few years old but have never been used. They are therefore much more likely to be within tolerance than the one that's been in your TiVo for the last 5-7 years or so.

10. qwiki

Feb 28, 2002
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I guess I'll buy a new one shortly and give it a try. Can't hurt to have a spare anyway.

11. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    Somethings not right in this thread... where's Pete?

12. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    He has gone out for new year.. Yes, thats right.. I said gone out!!!.

13. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    If one has a spare Tivo PSU or two would it be worth replacing the main large electrolytic capacitors with new ones and if space permits ones that can hold a greater charge?

Automan.

14. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    and would it not be possible to use capacitors of higher quality so they would last longer?

15. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I looked into doing this but....

- A new PSU was only £12
    - You need to get 105°C rated capacitors (long life), as well as higher voltage if you can, which are often physically different (bigger) than normal 85°C capacitors (definition of life varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but can be as short as 1000hours to 30% capacity reduction @ 85°C and full voltage and specified ripple current, with doubling of life for each 10°C reduction, doubling of life for halving of applied voltage and reducing ripple current).
    - Also some of the capacitors are clearly not standard electrolytic capacitors, there are low ESR type (equivalent series resistance) and the ESR could be an important design value. I have heard of people replacing capacitors on PSUs and the capacitors exploding as they got too low an ESR (as they thought that would be better) and in fact the value of the ESR was part of the design.

16. Greyhawk68

Greyhawk68 New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Hey guys,

I have the no sound problem on a Series II. I only get the TiVo chirps and menu sounds, but no sounds from recorded programs or promotional ads from TiVo. Is this indicative of the problems you guys have outlined here in the thread?

Also, as a person with ZERO ability to rip apart my TiVo and solder pieces in place, is there anything I can do, or is this puppy set for the graveyard?

Thanks for the help,
    Grey

17. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    You might want to ask this question in one of the US forums - you've posted in the UK forum where TiVo only ever released Series 1 hardware so we have very little experience of Series 2 hardware in this country. :(

18. Podwin

Podwin New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Manchester UK
    Hi I think I've found the answer to my problem, but I'd like to explain it because it's wierd.

I can hear Tivo's blips when using the remote. I can also hear sound from recorded programs.

I can hear sound when viewing the Sagem Freeview box via AUX, but when watching live TV in the normal Tivo manner there is no sound, yet the blips are heard when using the remote as I've mentioned.

Is this the same problem?

Martin

19. Podwin

Podwin New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Manchester UK
    Hi

A warm reboot does fix it so it must be it, where can I get new PSUs from?

20. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Yes, that's definitely the normal "no sound" problem :)

Don't expect a new PSU to 100% cure it though, as the problem can persist even after replacing the PSU. If you have a large drive with a cachecard it seems more likely to happen too, so the fault may not all be with your PSU.