I have had no auto-recorded Tivo suggestions the past 5 days

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tivoknucklehead, Feb 23, 2009.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Advertisements

this is very strange, I usually had 5-6 suggestions per day on my Tivo auto-recorded when I got home from work, but lately not even one. Anyone else?

2. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Me either.... Ive had one in about 2 weeks.

3. paNX2K&SE-R

paNX2K&SE-R New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    We had the same thing happen on our Sony S1. One day it just seemed to stop recording suggestions for no apparent reason and that lasted a few months. About 2 weeks ago it returned to normal and started recording them again. Weird.

4. tgrad

tgrad New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Is your hard drive full? It will not record suggestions if there is no more space.

5. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Advertisements

not even close, I have a 500gb external connected and very little in my "now playing". The only recent change was adding a tuning adapter a week ago, hmmmm

6. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    I noticed this also and it could just be that my hard drive space has been pretty full, but the other issue is that Tivo's Suggestions list is usually near empty now. I've never seen it with just one or a few things in there before.

I also got the TA a couple of weeks ago.

-David

7. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Hmmmm... I have a TA too.... Is there a pattern emerging? :eek:

8. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I believe the problem has been around awhile. I noticed it when this happened. Try turning off suggestions, rebooting and turning them back on.

9. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I did that yesterday.... no suggestions yet... but its only been one day.

Season passes are recording fine... just not suggestions.

10. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Sure. I didn't mean to insinuate such, but I see that I did. It seems this suggestions problem probably has roots from awhile back.

11. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes. I recall this being discussed quite a while ago. I didnt have a problem with it at that time so I didnt pay a lot of attention... but it has appeared now. Hopefully the 'fix' will have suggestions flowing again in a day or so.

12. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    It really did seem to start when I added a tuning adaptor in early december as well. Although I did add a 1 Gb eSATA drive just before then. I'd love to get numbers on people losing suggestions and whether they have eSTAT or a tuning adaptor or both.

I figured their suggestion algorithm couldn't handle tons of free space.

The suggestions in the other threads about missing suggestion haven't helped.
    I did the suggestions off/on. I'm not willing to do a clear thumbs. Just hoping the next tivo update fixes it.

13. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

I'm on day 6 with no suggestions recorded now

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    What software version do you guys have?

15. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    Tivo Series 3 with external HD and Tuning adapter
    v 11.0-01-2-648

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Did anyone without a tuning adapter have their suggestions fail to record?

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    A little bell just went off in my head. The TA implements a variable which tells the CATV headend what it is doing, including whether it is recording an automated event (Wishlists, Season Passes), a manually selected event, or an autonomous event (Suggestions). Based upon the value of this variable, the headend could deny a tuning request, or kill an already established request if the traffic requires it. It's possible the CATV system has something set incorrectly in their headend, so that it is routinely denying tuning requests for suggestions. It's even possible the TA channel map is preventing Suggestions from being attempte in the first place.

Someone might try looking up a suggestion about to be recorded and observe the Tivo's behavior when at least one tuner is free but neither one is tuned to the channel about to record. Then observe the behavior again with the tuner already set to the channel about to be recorded. Repeat for both SDV and non-SDV channels.

18. Todd B.

Todd B. Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Honolulu, HI
    I've also had the non-recording of suggestions. My TA installation was on Feb. 4. I continued to get regular Suggestion recordings through Feb. 8, including one from an SDV channel. Then on Feb. 8, the suggestions abruptly stopped. I verified that Suggestions were still set to record, but otherwise did no troubleshooting (for example, no rebooting). Then, suddenly, without any apparent trigger, it started recording suggestions again on Feb. 20. Oddly, the suggestions recorded since it came back have been on only 3 channels, despite the fact that I receive well over 100 channels.

I didn't have any problems with disk space. I had numerous shows languishing in the Recently Deleted folder the entire time that Suggestions weren't recording. In fact, over the past 4 days, it still hasn't recorded enough Suggestions to empty out the Recently Deleted folder. And I've never encountered this problem with suggestions not recording in the 1 year, 1 month that I owned the Tivo HD before getting a TA.

19. tivoknucklehead

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    last night I had one autorecord from the one Tivo suggestion that was listed, the first one in a week. Interestingly, I also just got the 11.0b software update, and now several Tivo suggestions are at least listed where as before there was only the one. I will see if I get some autorecords in the next day or two now

20. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I had this problem start shortly after getting a tuning adapter as well. I usually have around 200 suggestions recorded at all time since I added the external drive. It doesn't really seem to stop even if their is no room since it will just delete the suggestions there to record more.

I had one record last week and nothing in my list of suggestions. Those should be there even if the cable company was denying the adapter.