I have graphics but no signal on my 3-month old tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by snooplives, Mar 30, 2006.

1. snooplives

snooplives Fa-sizzle dizzle

Jan 16, 2004
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I think the thread title speaks for itself. I have a series 2 tivo (actually I bought it for mom). She uses cablevision. She gets all the graphics, the guide, the menus. But no picture whatsoever. She unplugged it, reset it. She then put the coax directly into the back of the tv and she gets picture. Anybody have any idea what this is, and can you help?

Thanks,

Chris

2. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    How does she have the TiVo connected to the tv? Is she selecting the proper input on the tv?

Edit: misread the part about her getting a signal from the TiVo itself and not from the cable system. Is this a brand new TiVo? Has she ever received a signal before now?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Is the TiVo setup to record from the cable without a box? You should re-run guided setup.

4. snooplives

Jan 16, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, the tivo worked fine when I set it up for her. It happened about two weeks ago when she lost video (but not graphics, guide, etc.) She is hooked up to the internet via a wireless access point. Could that mean the tivo is getting the guide data from the internet, but the tuner is shot? Of course my 90 day warranty just expired, and I have a lifetime subscription. I need advice here if you guys have any. Please! I'm beggin ya.

Thanks.

Chris

5. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL

Advertisements

call tivo. thats part of what your subscription pays for, far faster for them to talk you thru various steps then bouncing back and forth to a web forum and waiting for users to suggest other things.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree that you should repeat guided setup.

Dan

7. snooplives

Jan 16, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Now the darn thing is working. I don't know if my mother is slow or what. Thanks for your assistance.

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Based on your first message, it's not clear if she uses a cable box or not. If she is, that's most likely the cuplrit. I had that problem, replacing the cablebox helped. On mine, it was only on one channel.

9. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

I set up my mom in florida with series 2 and adelphia cable. Everything worked fine since april. She called me today experiencing exactly the same problem. Cable feed was working as I had her test that first. I then told her to restart the box and after 6 minutes her picture was back and everything was fine.

I own several tivos for years and have never had this problem.

10. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    It sounds like it might be a loose connection at a splitter or something. You might have her check for that, it might stop working again .