I have 3 old Tivos w Lifetime Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bebw, May 28, 2018.

1. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati

Advertisements

Can I sell these or give them away and my lifetime service would go with it.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Which models are you referring to? Were they still connecting to the TiVo service?

3. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I still have all three of the ones listed. I disconnected them years ago when I vacated the house for a year and never reconnected them. I am not going to reconnect them but hate to throw them out. The Humax was definitely working when I disconnected it. The other two I don't remember. I think one was making that noise with the wheel, cooling system and I was told it could mean end of life or could replace the cooling fan. Anyway, I thought I'd give these away to someone with the patience to try to get them going if service would still be provided to them. I think lifetime service is until they stop working but wanted to make sure before I give them to someone. I may have held on to the oldest one reading somewhere that I can get parts. Anyway they were so expensive, I don't want to throw them out. I'm sure the Humax was fine but would need significant updating. I did it once for one Tivo and took me days and that was one year of disconnect.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, Lifetime is for the Lifetime of the box.

One thing to consider: in the course of the past 1 year+, TiVo has had promotions for the Series 2/Series 3/Premiere TiVo boxes--buy a new Bolt from TiVo at regular retail pricing and transfer your Lifetime from the old box to the new for $99. A nice deal, especially if you have older boxes that you're not really using. The "trick" with these offers has been, the old box must be "current"--typically having connected to the TiVo mothership in the past year.

And so, should the offers come back again, you might want to dust off your old boxes and have them connect to the TiVo mothership, and have them do so periodically (e.g. 1x/month?).

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Listed where?

Series 1 is EOL, not much you can do with it if you have any. S2 is SD, not much demand for them, but you can check Ebay for value, as some folks still use them.

6. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    The ones listed in @bebw signature...

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some people have signatures turned off. Same goes for mobile device access.

slowbiscuit and jrtroo like this.
  8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Someone might buy the Series2 for $20-$30. Tivo doesn't send guide data to the series 1's anymore. Only possible use for a series 1 that I can think of is to record from a surveillance camera. I think you waited too long to liquidate these items.

9. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Ah... I hadn't considered that... Thanks...

JoeKustra likes this.
  10. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I don't know the abreviations EOL but I get the idea that they are of no good, so I guess I can send those to e-waste sites. I thought they may be good for parts to someone but..

As for the Series 2..not looking to sell it. I just don't want to throw away something still useful, was going to advertise it for free in our local e-zine.

I heard about the bolt offer if you have current box plugged in. I didn't know it had to be a year. I plugged in the Humax, Series 2 and it said 'welcome', so I guess I could try updating the software.

I'm too busy right now to work on things like this like I used to be and was thinking of just buying a Bolt or similar so I don't have to rent the cable recorders and Tivo gives a better experience.

Thanks for your guidance. Now I know not to bother with the Series 1 or give it to someone else. The Series 2 I'll have to think about: be lazy and give away for someone else to try to get started or try myself. Waste not/want not~

11. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I wonder, if you have one of the really old Series 1s with lifetime activated before they changed their lifetime terms of service, will TiVo still allow you to transfer the lifetime service for free to a new unit?

12. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Interesting thought. I have all the papers that came with it. I will look them over but may not have bill of sale with those terms.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The Bolt offers haven't required that the old box be connected for a year, just that it had made a contact to the TiVo mothership at some point in the past year. But who knows what might be required in the future--the reason I think it safest to connect up monthly or so.

bebw likes this.
  14. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Bulk Trash Pickup, I would say, unless they work and there is something on them worth saving. No offense, but I upgraded my original XL4 after 16 months to my Roamio Pro in 10/2013 because it was so slow. Picked up a used XL4 with lifetime service almost a year ago. Can't afford another Tivo (wish I had a Bolt+ though).

bebw likes this.
  15. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    IMO, the only value is (as already noted) for potential promotions that would allow for a lifetime transfer. Just dust them off every 6 months or so and have them call home to the mothership. For the old S1, you can check your account status online to see when you first activated it and if it was before the grandfather date (Jan 2000 I think).

bebw likes this.
  16. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati

I plugged the 2006 Humax in yesterday and got a welcome to Tivo message so that's connected. The others were bought in September of 2000, at Circuit City.

When you say check online for account status, do you mean at the main Tivo site? If so, I went there and put my Tivo number in and it said something about no longer being supported, but maybe I put it in the wrong area but anyway, is that where you mean...the main Tivo website...(not here?) Thanks

17. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I talked to Tivo and they did have record of me having lifetime service on *two sets...the two I plugged in just yesterday. The one they didn't have record of was my Sony, that I did not plug in yesterday so all it took was plugging them in, not even for a day.

They didn't know what I meant by 'grandfathered in' for the ones bought in 2000 though, but..?

They offered me about $50.00 off on a new one for being a good Tivo customer. No deal on the lifetime service going on now though, still 549.00 on that.

18. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Login Template Title <-- this is the link but ignore the 'show' name
    Would show any TiVos on your account
    [​IMG]

bebw likes this.
  19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    For the grandfathering, if you qualify, you might need to walk them through the offer terms or get a supervisor, as it was from so long ago.

bebw likes this.
  20. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Agree, none of the current service agents would have any idea and it might not even be in any of their databases anymore. You used to have to ask for a manager and refer to TiVoStephen.

bebw likes this.