I have 2 S3s, do I get the Tivo HD next or another S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Kipp Jones, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Kipp Jones

Kipp Jones AVS Heavy Hitter

Nov 11, 2006
    IL
    Your thoughts???

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well I just bought the TiVo HD for a fourth unt. I messed around with it for 1.5 hours tonight. I definitely like the Series 3 premium much better than the TiVo HD, but I guess i can't complain about the price. I should have purchased another Series 3 back in May for $400 after rebate. That would have been worth it instead of getting the TiVo HD for $256.
    I'll probably move my boxes around when I get FiOs so I have two Series 3 units in my main viewing area. I've really grown used the the OLED panel so I can see what's being recorded. The TiVo HD doesn't even have the red lights on in standby when it's recording. Although the S3 does.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 10
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    If you're in no particular hurry, I'm sure the S3 will majorly drop in price sometime in the near future. If you need another box right now, I'd have to recommend going with the Tivo HD. It's just hard to justify shelling out all that extra cash for a box that basically does the exact same thing. To me, the OLED display on the S3 isn't that big of a deal. It's cool and all, but I can't read it from my couch anyway. The S3's nicer remote is also not a factor for me since I use a universal remote. In my opinion, the only major advantage that the S3 has at the moment is that you can easily upgrade the recording capacity with an external drive.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 10
    stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    So, an S3 is worth ~$150 more to you than TiVoHD...
    Since you have both and can make a fair assessment, I am interested to know your reasons.

Also, without a rebate, would you buy an S3 at $600 or TiVoHD at $300 (or $260)?

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 10
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I think a $100 premium for the S3 over the HD is worth it for the bigger internal drive, the front panel and possibly the THX certification (the jury is still out on that one). Don't care about remote. I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $400 for another S3 though. I'm glad I got my 2nd S3 for $400 after rebate. As mentioned the S3 prices will have to come down to move inventory sooner than later so with a little patience in a couple of months I think there will be some good options to choose from.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 10
    Greeble

Greeble New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I would buy the TivoHD for sure. While I like OLED the fact that the HD has more sensitive tuners (wouldn't need signal amplifier box) and double the ram. (Better for galleon and stuff)

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 10
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I think the S3 is worth paying $400 instead of $250 for the TiVoHD. But over $400 and the TiVoHD is a better deal. The price is too good. They don't complement each other so they don't look right sitting next to each other. The S3 seems to do better on analog recordings. Although I'm going to double check again tonight with a couple more recordings. I use the S3 OLED since I can read it, plus in standby the S3 shows that it's recordng one or two shows by the red LEDs, the TiVoHD LEDs don't come on in standby mode, at least they didn't last night. I don't care about the hard drive size since I will only use the original hard drive if I need to send the boxes in for warranty service. I purchased extended warranties onmy first two S3 boxes. I didn't on the third or the TiVoHD. I actually meant to cancel the extended warranties but waited past the 30 days of purchase so I couldn't drop it. I not really worried about an extended warranty especially at only $250.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 10
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Somebody in another thread said that the S3 provided a better analog display than the HD, but that may have also been realted to his display (though not likely). However I'm sure that its still much better than the feed from an S2 or S1.

For those of us who still watch some analog stuff, it makes a difference. Yes, there are still those of who are occasionally converned with content over pretty pictures.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 10
    drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Not to discredit (or even dissagree) with anything above, but I would get the HD just to hedge your bets. You have 2 S3s and the Jury is still out as to whether which unit is "better" and is more future proof.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There is no question in my mind that the series 3 is better than the TiVoHD.. The TiVoHd is just a better value since it costs so much less. I dont need SD mRV. I need HD MRV but since that won' be happening, the TiVoHD will have to suffice for a 3rd and 4th HD tuner in my main viewing area. And on those rare occasions that I need 5 or 6 HD tuners my dual HD tuners in my HTPC will have to fill that need.