I Hate Painted Plastic

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

So I dropped my new S3's remote last night. It took a nick out of the painted plastic silver area. I totally hate products with plastic that is painted to silver to look like metal to begin with and this reminded my why.

Anyone know if I can take that silver area off the remote to paint it black?

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    You can, but you'd still be stuck with painted plastic. :(

Perhaps you can dip it in bronze? My mom did that to my baby shoes and it looked awesome. :up:

3. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I noticed that there seems to be two types of Glo remotes... one has shiny chromey silver around the edge (I assume that's what you're talking about) and another has a matte grey edge. I ended up with both. Personally, I like the latter. I gave the former to my sister for her TiVo.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well I would rather have plastic painted black than silver. In my opinion painting plastic silver to look like metal only makes it look cheap and doesn't fool anyone into thinking it is metal.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

If it had been metal you'd now have a dented remote.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Paint nicks up easier than metal dents. Regardless, if the plastic was silver in color all the way through, instead of painted silver the nick would not have been as visible.

7. Lenarro

Lenarro USSB Forever!

Mar 4, 2005
    Hudson, FL
    The silver paint is wearing off of mine to the gray plastic underneath. I would have preferred the shiny black all around. It doesn't seem to wear off (yet).

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The black does not wear off because it is not painted. That is the color of the plastic.

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Would prefer a dull finish over the one on the remote shos finger prints pain to clean off

10. bown

bown New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    AGREED!!! Paint worn plastic looks like crap. Why do so many manufacturers do this? My logitech harmony remote has the same issue.

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    For some reason manufactures have been pushing silver painted plastic onto to consumers recently. Where did they get the idea we want this? Sure we buy, because we have no choice. I hate this crap, my car has it, my TV and stand hase it, my Stereo has it, my telephone has it, my camera has it. I hate it! Manufactures listen up!

Silver painted plastic trim does NOT make any item look like a quality product.

12. Lenarro

Lenarro USSB Forever!

Mar 4, 2005
    Hudson, FL
    I was referring to the "gloss" wearing off. If only the silver/gray stripe were that resilient. I agree about the annoying smudges though.