I hate NBC (men's Olympic basketball)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

I ended up watching the last of the Men's basketball game (USA vs Spain) on my stupid laptop. They are not showing it until 10AM PST. Three hours late? Why not live?

Amusingly the little play by play thing revealed the outcome of free throws before the video did.

Weirdly, I had to download a plug in (works fine with my Mac OS) and then tell them what cable company I have. (I think I could have lied if I was getting TV over the air or by some other means.)

My Olympic experience has been watching interesting sports that I usually don't see on TV such as Equestrian or fencing. As for coverage, my morning newspaper is better than what NBC is getting me. I just read the sports section to see how everyone is doing. The internet is more up to date but when I want to watch a basketball game I want a live game.

Same with women's soccer. I had already read the result when I turned on the TV and spotted that the game was on.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    because you live on the west coast.

I saw it live here. :)

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Because somebody figures nobody in Los Angeles wants to get up at 7 AM to watch a basketball game between USA and Spain.

I also saw the result in advance, with highlights - on USA Network, which airs live out west.

-- Don

4. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
    If there were really into Olympic Basketball, they would.

And if they were somewhat less interested, they could just TiVo it :rolleyes:.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

Right. The West Coast is being treated like crap. (like usual)

The next Olympics better be televised by any channel but NBC.

6. cmgal

cmgal Member

Oct 1, 2003
    OC, CA
    I'm not a basketball fan but am pissed that CA doesn't get to see events live. I didn't get to bed until after 1AM after watching gymnastics. If CA could get the east coast feed, as well as the west, it would solve the problem. I used to get the ease coast channel through Dish but apparently there is some deal among politicians/advertisers/networks (I'm not sure of the details) that doesn't allow it anymore. In the meantime, I have to stay away from radio and tv because someone is always there with spoilers.

7. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Don't count on it.

8. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    NBC already has the contract for '10 and '12.

9. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I guess you guys don't have the Olympic basketball channel? Every game live.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Olympic basketball and soccer channels snuck up on me. I didn't notice them until Friday. They look great in HD.

11. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah the olympic basketball channel is awesome. No studio blather... Just the game calls and a lot of graphic interludes.

It is pretty much the only Olympics I have watched so far.

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Is my cable company obligated to provide the olympic channels with basic service? It seems that they are part of the HD tier which I don't currently have. Kind of disappointing :(

13. JETarpon

Jan 1, 2003
    I don't think they are obligated to provide anything, other than perhaps the NBC affiliate.

14. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005

I thought they were every 4 years ;)

15. JETarpon

Jan 1, 2003
    You're wrong. They are every 2 years, alternating winter and summer games.

16. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    At least in 2012, the games are in London, which means that everything in prime team will air taped throughout the USA (8 PM-midnight Eastern time is 1-5 AM in Great Britain).

Expect 2010 to be a repeat of 2002 - pretty much everything live in the east and another three-hour delayfest in the west.
    (I know I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating - NBC has been asked to air a live feed to the west, but their reason for not doing it is, they are under the impression that people who watch the prime time coverage are afraid that a live feed would make it more likely for the results to be "spoiled" - for example, if someone's neighbor was watching the live feed and had their TV volume set a little too high.)

(Note to NBC: in 2010, do everyone a favor - instead of airing some hour-long story right before the closing ceremonies, you should use that time to air the figure skating exhibition, which leaves more time to air actual events in place of whenever the exhibition took place - that's the one event you can get away with airing on a delayed basis.)

-- Don

17. drjlb

drjlb Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Hopefully this is the wave of the future. Each popular sport has its own channel and everything can be seen live, no matter what time it is where you are.

18. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    got ya, I wasn't thinking winter just yet

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't even understand that concern. Are they saying that they're worried that the people not watching (or recording on DVR) will be spoiled by those watching live? Since when does a TV network care about that, and why wouldn't they have the same concerns for viewers on the East Coast?

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    The Vancouver Olympics will be tape delayed on the West Coast? That doesn't make much sense.

-smak-