I hate MEDIA PLAYER. Some sorta codec problem I guess... won't play TIVO files. TIA

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by SCIFI 3D zoo, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1 of 15
    SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004

Advertisements

CyberLink Video/SP Decoder
    That's what it says trying to play a TIVO file. I do hear AUDIO tho.
    Under Tools-Options-DVD-Advanced it says...
    Main Concept MPEG Demultiplexer

I have installed MY DVD, Roxio Cine Player, CyberLink DVD, etc. I should have codecs out the butt now.

They suggested at the TIVO forums to try
    Tools-Options-Performance Tab-Advanced...
    and mess with those settings. I saw this in another thread they replied too over the same problem. I tried this alreayd too but I went ahead and tried it again. Click one or the other "Video Mix Renderer" setting, then neither. Messed with all the other stuff, tried turning all the stuff off. Nothing works. Tried playing some other avi files ok. I also tried rolling WMP back to an earlier version then reinstalling WMP 11. Only other thing I can think of is to try and remove WMP all the way if I can.

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 15
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What version of Tivo To Go do you have?

This happened to me for a few months when I first loaded WMP10.

Finally started playing the Tivo files again when I upgraded to TTG 2.5.

3. Oct 5, 2007 #3 of 15
    SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Tivo "desktop" 2.5.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #4 of 15
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Sometimes too many codecs can be a problem too. WMP (actually DirectX) seems to always pick the last one installed, even if there is a better one to choose from. Given that playing with WMP settings didn't help, you could try removing the last installed codec and see what happens.

CuriousMark

5. Oct 5, 2007 #5 of 15
    SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004

Advertisements

How do you go about doing that?

6. Oct 5, 2007 #6 of 15
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  7. Oct 5, 2007 #7 of 15
    SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Man... I can't find anything in a search.

BUT... I did already install DSF Manager and didn't know what to do after that? There's dozens of listings. I noticed a "tivo" codec there and assigned it the highest priority. I haven't rebooted but it has not had any effect yet. So it's not looking good.

8. Oct 6, 2007 #8 of 15
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I hate to recommend just installing even more codecs, but have you tried this one? :p

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard

Or Nvidia's trial...
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

Maybe the best solution for you if your machine is royally dorked is to pay the $25 and get Tivo Desktop Plu$. It installs a codec that is suppose to be guaranteed to work as long as your are playing .tivo files. Won't help with .mpg, but they may not be of concern to you.

9. Oct 6, 2007 #9 of 15
    SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    I'll try it.

I don't want to mess with any trials. I need a permanent solution. I burn a lot of dvd's. I have about 200 so far actually.. with 3-4 shows on each.

I've had it working before. Problem is it goes off and on all year long. 2-3 times a year. Shouldn't have to pay them to get their crap to work tho. They should put that part in DESKTOP for FREE then right? And keep all the other features in their upgrade version. Makes sense to me. But I have heard somebody else already mention that as an option.

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    The MPEG-2 codec is licensed. Somebody has to pay for it. The free ones on the net are not legal.

11. SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    The COLE2K isn't legal? It's a Download.com file too. Must be ok.

Actually I think it worked. I just did the typical install on it and WMP is playing them again. I rebooted today too so using the "merit" system on the TIVO codec I saw didn't work. But this did work and I saved that file to my hdd for the future. B/c I'm sure this is gonna happen again. THANKS.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    It's definitely a grey area. :)

13. steven863

steven863 New Member

May 14, 2004
    zoom player works great for me. you can also configure skip forward and back. give it a try.

14. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    VLC has codecs for pretty much every kind of video file. It is available at www.videolan.org its free and its open source.

15. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    VLC doesn't seem to work for me at all. And if I try WMP I can view them fine but the length of the show is completely off. I can't skip commercials.