I got bent over by Directv with the r10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by stevei983, Jan 15, 2006.

1. stevei983

stevei983 New Member

Jan 15, 2006

Advertisements

...and I'm not going down without a fight!

After A LOT of EXTENSIVE research. I have found out that I am infact another unsatisfied customer of directivo. Turns out you can't setup your DirecTivo to any network without some HARDCORE mods or hacks. Ive decided that I would rather just buy the unit from TIVO and not have to deal with Directv. Does anyone know if I would be able to get my money back from Directv if I return my unit. I cant remember but it seems like the damn thing came with a contract. I have to look it up, im not sure.

Anyways if you know how to get out of your TIVO with Directv contract if one does exist or how to get your money back for your tivo PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Maybe you should do the "extensive research" BEFORE you buy something.

Putting a hard drive in a computer and clicking OK a bunch of times is "HARDCORE" now?

3. stevei983

stevei983 New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    hey man, I just found out that you can network these things about a week ago. Ive had my unit for almost a year... And it would be pretty tough for me considering that in order for me to even install any kind of software I would have to have an r15 and not an r10. infact I would have to format my whollle pc hardrive into a fat filesys. That's a pain in the rear and I don't have time or patience for all of that. sorry i pissed on 'your' parade.

4. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    You're kidding right?

5. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003

Advertisements

An R10 requires a hardware mod and other tweaks before you can run a zipper on it. Even then it is not recommended by Gunny. It is different than the other series 2 DTivo's. You might check you attitude a little or do some research yourself.

I would get another S2 Dtivo and zipper it, but that may be too much for the OP to handle. Only he can make that determination. I would suggest that if you want these hacks, that you get a different model S2 and then nut up and do the 30 minutes of work that it is. You can convert your drive to FAT using Partition Magic, so it's not that tough.

6. hughvh

hughvh Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Richardson, TX
    The rebate's Term and Conditions clearly state that if you return the TiVo to Directv, your equipment charges will be wavied.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_rebate.html

(Sorry for the caps. It just a cut and paste from directv.com.)

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  8. wyatt9696

wyatt9696 New Member

Jan 1, 2003
    WallyWorld, CT
    you got "bent over", because you didn't do your homework. it's best to ask questions before you buy. this stuff is common knowledge in this forum, and many others. if you did extensive research, you'd have known that. sorry, but i have a hard time feeling sorry for your situation. good luck with it.

9. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    So stop researching! :D

10. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....

That's Funny :D

11. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Be carefull, I am pretty sure there is nothing at all that can be done with an R15, not even increasing the hard drive. Maybe all the research missed that one. If you want to hack, you need a non- R10 Series II. Somehting like an SDDVR40 (or 80 or 120) or any number of other models that you can find info on here.

Now, there is some talk of D* allowing some networking features at some point on the R15, but so far, only talk.

12. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    So you've had a year of satisfactory service and now, suddenly, feel cheated by not being able to use a feature that you were never promised or paid for?

You need to go back and do more "exhaustive research" - you can't hack the R15 at all, and the R10 requires a firmware mod to do more than a disk upgrade.

Says who? You can simply get a new (larger if you like) harddrive and copy your software to that one, keeping your original drive as a backup. Heck, you could even pick up a small harddrive for $10 or $20 and use that as a FAT formatted backup target. I've been using NTFS for years, and I've never had a problem, getting a backup done.

I think you've come to conclusion that the members here have no time or patience for arrogrant little twerps that toss around vulgarities and act like they know it all.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

13. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001

Well said!