I got banned from here for a week for making a joke TiVo thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Larsenv, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Sep 4, 2021 #1 of 20
    Larsenv

Larsenv TiVo Guy

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas

Advertisements

A week ago, I made a thread as a joke saying that TiVo announced a new DVR called the TiVo Arch (they did not announce such a DVR). It had a link to an apparent news article that would indicate you've been pranked if you clicked on it.

As a result, I got banned from here for a week for "Posting blatant false info".

I guess that wasn't very cool. I'm sorry. I like this community.

If the TiVo Arch did exist, I guess it would look like this. I photoshopped it.

7CE0416C-9570-4D6C-99BC-4E7D70E5ED27.jpeg

I came up the name considering that TiVo has made the Bolt and the Edge, trying to make their DVRs stand out and be innovative.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. Sep 5, 2021 #2 of 20
    DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    It probably would have been okay if you had done it on April 1st.

3. Sep 5, 2021 #3 of 20
    Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    California
    I see that your post exaggerated the bend of the Bolt. Speaking of that model, I think that may have played a part in Tivo's misfortunes. The Bolt is simply damn ugly. It's looks like it was run over by a car or that it has really bad scoliosis. It's one thing to design outside the box, but it has to have some favorable aesthetic qualities.

samsauce29 likes this.
  4. Sep 5, 2021 #4 of 20
    chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Ver-r-r-r-ry interesting (aber nicht so klug).

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

Many forums have humor posts, but one should consider if a thread title can be taken too seriously like the announcement of a new TiVo and then finding it to be a link to something unimaginative and worn-out old joke could find people feeling pretty steamed. Misdirection on a forum is never a good idea. I think one is better off not using a "hook" or "trap" or "bait" thread title, and just start by making the first post clearly about some humor. It is common for many forum members to then join in the humor thread. I think people didn't like being fooled the way you've described--unless it was April 1--as one poster noted.

6. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    California
    Well this isn't exactly a forum dedicated to the urgent need to adopt babies from war torn countries. It's about DVR's. Exactly how serious are we supposed to treat DVR's, that we can't yuck it up occasionally?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    mschnebly likes this.
  7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It's not how serious we should treat DVRs, it's how serious we should treat the forum and fellow members.

I think @Series3Sub was clear. The OP posted a clickbait-ey title, and linked to an old meme joke. There was nothing remotely related to the purpose of this forum. Humor as part of ongoing threads... sure, it happens 24/7. But that was juvenile humor, with no redeeming value, and an insult to members. Not surprised he was banned.

If I go to my architecture forum, and post "City passes stringent new building codes, effective immediately", then a link to some meme, I'd either get banned (for more than a week), or asked if someone hacked my account.

8. Larsenv

Larsenv TiVo Guy

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    Is that what The Fun House is for? (it looks largely inactive)

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Not really (although I'm no expert). Nowhere is appropriate for juvenile humor. Except 4th grade.

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I have a problem with OP's ban.

It was far too short!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021 at 7:46 AM
    Series3Sub and astrohip like this.
  11. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Dang, I think I see one of the reasons this place is slowing down. Grouchy old men....

jwbelcher and HerronScott like this.
  12. jwbelcher

jwbelcher Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah many people were ran off through the years. I stopped actively visiting around the time it happened to @nooneuknow

mschnebly likes this.
  13. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I got a week suspendion for posting a meme that I found on Face Book and posted in one of the joke forums. They said it was too political and that it should have been posted in the Political cartoon forum.

14. Larsenv

Larsenv TiVo Guy

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    On the flipside, there's people who seem to still visit here after 15-20 years.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Which is why when some new hotshot shows up all ready to rock and roll all over the place we tend to step back and let them learn what the place is about and how it works ;)
    Trust me, those of us here forever know the playbook of new folks, and we also know who is going to say "but that's too much just for a guide!"

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. Larsenv

Larsenv TiVo Guy

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    I feel like for a somewhat niche device, there's a high number of people who have been here for 15-20 years and still are visiting daily.

17. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Because one has to consider how OTHERS may feel about a about falling for the joke, or some empathy for the "victims". It is never just all bout US or ME. Consideration is lost in today's society. Again you may not think it a big deal after you have been fooled, but a great many others would take worse than you, and so it boils down to a complete lack of good judgement. Perhaps the joke about a new DVR really was posted by a 12 years old; that would easily explain why he thought it was good idea to post it, but anyone with even a modest amount of adult maturity who can also consider the consequences of getting themselves banned would have seen the joke post as a pretty bad idea--and just totally unnecessary.

I knew of a person who would fool people into believing they saw a "UFO" and laughed about it. Really? He delighted in making OTHERS seems inferior, which made him feel superior for having fooled them with a "joke". Also, a UFO joke is just socially irresponsible. While the stupid joke posted here about a new DVR is not as bad as "fooling" people into seeing a "UFO," both "jokes" have a common attribute: an immature trait of the lack of consideration of how those fooled "victims" would feel or take the joke. All I am suggesting is that we all STOP to CONSIDER how OTHERS (not ourselves as the Jokester) would feel after having fallen for the prank regardless how not seriously any of us may take this forum. If one is incapable of considering how others may feel, well, such a person would be in need of some deep psychotherapy.

And to answer your thoughtful question: since this is not a "Joke" forum nor one dedicated to comedy, but a forum that is about a sharing "serious" information and help publicly among posters who we all grant to be taken seriously at face value, it would be safe to say that we all really do take this forum about a DVR sufficiently seriously, or NONE of us would be here; we would likely be on the "Joke" forum, instead. Humor in a thread is quite a different thing a great many on this forum enjoy because it is clear we a being humorous and not fooled into clicking on link that is quite unsatisfying.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021 at 9:25 PM
  18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's more a positive about the community that has grown here over the past 20 years, the number of active Happy Hour folks that no longer have a Tivo is quite high.

However for those keeping an eye on things, we've long known we were Tivo's MSO beta fish where they tested things, but when we did have actual TivoFolk visiting they also confirmed the number of subscribers is not very high when there were Tivo business reports posted for investors.

It's also long been reported that the retail subscriber base is negligible from a business standpoint and more a case of its momentum keeping it going, if it were a new venture it wouldn't be viable.

19. Larsenv

Larsenv TiVo Guy

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    It's interesting how people use a forum about TiVos as their hangout spot. I mean, I guess a lot of forums and communities are similar, and it's more about being with the friends they made in the community.

Jesus dude... that was a pretty long overanalysis and overreaction of a response. I am 19 years old and autistic, not 12, but that's still much younger than most of y'all. Did I think I would get banned for a joke thread that I put a link in to show it was a joke? No, I didn't think much of it at the time. And yes, I regret what I did but that's now weeks in the past and I learn from it.

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  20. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    California
    An easier reply would have said everything you rambled on about, but in only nine words.

"Not all of us have a sense of humor"

See how easy that was!

Larsenv likes this.