I got a Tivo again!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GameGuru, Sep 15, 2011.

1. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Just won this auction, did I get a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220847688990

I am excited to have a Tivo again ... and with a Lifetime subscription!

Question, do I have to switch something to my name or can I just hook it up and use it?

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's best to get it put on your own account. If you leave it on the seller's account, they could possible have the lifetime service transferred to a Tivo they own.

$65 for a tivo with a lifetime subscription is a good price, but why buy a ten year old outdated Tivo that is limited to recording SD content and w/o spending more money is limited to using a phone line for guide data?
    Then again, any Tivo is better than no Tivo.

3. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I wanted to get it as cheap as possible so a new one with Lifetime would have been way more expensive.

What do I need to hook a CAT 5 cable to this Tivo?

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The SVR-2000 doesn't have an ethernet port only a phone line.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Meaning you need a Turbonet or clone network card, or serial PPP through your PC.

If it were an SVR3000, you could use any supported USB-Ethernet adapter.

6. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Do call TIVO and get the box changed to your name.

That way the former owner can not do anything to the box (such as transfer service if the box is old enough and qualifies to have that done)

I also have a SD TIVO with lifetime service that is still in use. Nothing wrong with them at all.

7. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I know nothing of this stuff. Where do I get it and use it?

8. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Ok, Turbonet is $70, not going to put that in a $40 Tivo. Will just hook the phone line up.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You may have to acquire a replacement IR blaster or serial control cable.

10. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I just have standard analog cable that comes from the coax cable, we canceled our box and high def. I just plug the coax into the Tivo and I am ready right?

11. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I do have a question. If I transfer the Tivo in my name and later buy a newer Tivo could I transfer Lifetime service to the new one?

12. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The possibility is very, very slim. Depends on the original date of purchase and/or manufacture and/or activation? Cutoff is prior to Jan 2000(2001?), as far as I have read. This would be on record at Tivo corp, via the TSN(serial number, essentially).

Plus you would probably need to have it on your account? You could just call Tivo. That will need to be done regardless, eventually. Probably best to get it onto your account first though.

13. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    I haven't had an account since probably 2003 and have no idea what my log in and password is (if I ever had one). Do I make a new one?

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I would call TiVo and see if they have a record of your old account.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    You won't be able to transfer the lifetime for free - but you are going to see an upgrade offer as soon as you register the box.

Generally the older the Tivo model - the better the offer has been. I think you got a pretty good deal even if you wait a while before upgrading.

For example - If I wanted to upgrade my early lifetimed S3, my current options are:

Premier for $99
    Monthly Service @ $14 or;
    Lifetime Service @ $399.

Good luck and welcome back.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Those are just the current MSD subscription rates and regular price for the Premiere.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The grandfather transfer date was January 2000. At that time, only Philips brand TiVos were for sale.

18. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I wish I still had my Transfer right with the elite coming.:)

19. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Ok my Tivo arrived and I got it transferred into my name. Under my account it says the original activation date is 7-23-2000, do you think once this bites the dust I would be able to transfer it to a Premiere?

20. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Question about it calling in. It calls in daily right? If I were to do a call in at 3am would it just automatically do it everyday at 3am? I went through all the menus and could not find an option to change the time for the call.