I finally went to SDUI

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Joey P, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been having problems for the last few weeks in that if I delete a show, the TiVo locks up for the next 30 seconds or so. That, I can deal with. The problem was, the if I try to delete, say, 3 or 4 at once (and sometimes even if it was just one) I was getting the green circle for anywhere from 2 to 5 or 6 minutes and that was just unacceptable.

The thing is, I'm starting to wonder if something changed in the last few weeks. My HD (well, hard drives, I have an external as well) hovers at 4-7% full and my suggestions were in the 1600's for the last few months. Then, out of nowhere, about two or three weeks ago, I got home from work one day and the suggestions were at 1450 or so, but the meter was still in the 4-7% range. This was exactly when I started having problems deleting things as well. I figured that TiVo downloaded some new software to the system that was bigger and pushed out some of the shows.

I know I've got a lot of shows on there, so I expected it to be slow, but having to wait 5 minutes for it to spring back to life was embarrassing when I had people over, especially when the menu would repopulate and the shows would still be there sometimes anyways.

So, anyways, I put in in SDUI and it's now it deletes things in seconds instead of minutes and since I wasn't really using any of the extras that the HDUI offered, I guess it's for the better.
    But I really do hope they get it straightened out soon.

Of course, one of the things I've been doing is going through the suggestions each day and actively deleting any movies as well as any show I'm not interested in that's more then 30 minutes. Just to see how many suggestions I can get on there. That's why there are a lot of times where I would be deleting several shows at the same time. I suppose I could just turn HDUI back on not go through and delete 20 things every day from it.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why not let the TiVo delete the shows for you? I don't have thousands of shows, but I have hundreds of HD shows on my 2TB Premiere. I run the HDUI and don't have any issues letting the Premiere delete the shows on it's own. I have another one that I do the opposite, but that only has a 1TB drive. But I've also not seen any issues when deleting 10, 20 or 30 shows etc. Although One time I did get a spinning green circle for 5 or 10 seconds, when I deleted alot of shows, but typically there is nothing or it would pop up for a split second. Fortunately I've never seen anything like you where it took minutes.

3. rakes5

rakes5 New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    naperville, IL
    My week started out with the same problems you are describing.

Now, in the HD menus, I haven't had the patience to wait, as it seems to take forever for the discovery bar to load, it is just a black bar.

What I did do differently this week was install the tivo app to my iPhone, and change the remote settings on my tivo.

Could this be causing a problem?

4. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't do anything differently, but I also think it was the preview bar at the top causing the problems. It would typically be a solid black bar (or nothing at all, just the blue background) while I was waiting. It would be nice if we could turn that off and still stay in HDUI since I assume that's the problem. Or at the very least if the TiVo could just load all those images in once a day or so instead of pulling them off the internet each time the screen changes.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I have a better idea- allow us to turn the damn thing OFF and add the space to the list of shows.

A guy has to have dreams, afterall.