I don't know about this new "WGN America" logo

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by lambertman, May 26, 2008.

1. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    http://www.wgnamerica.com/

The station probably needs a rebranding, but is this the best way?

2. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I guess with the "America" addition they're trying to convey that they're available coast to coast, not just Chicago.

I'm not sure what they're trying to convey with the creepy anime eyes though! :confused:

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    WGN America isn't a bad name.

The logo is just dumb. Besides for being creepy anime eyes, there is nothing about them that makes people think "WGN."

And of course, the tagline of "TV you can't ignore" is in some ways worse - because nothing about their programming backs that up. If anything, I could easily ignore the whole channel and I wouldn't miss anything.

4. dlovearl

dlovearl Guru Meditator

Jul 21, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    It certainly is an annoying "bug" that is difficult to ignore.

Thank you VH-1 for being the one of the first, if not the first to inflict bugs on the public...

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Not sure I've ever watched anything on WGN so it certainly is easy to ignore. Those eyes are horrible. That's not the type of thing you want staring back at you when you watch TV. I agree that the "America" part is probably a good idea, but the rest is not.

6. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I partially agree. I can't ignore Cubs baseball, but I can ignore everything else. Other than the Cubs it's just another indie TV station showing sitcoms and old movies.

7. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Actually, I'm hoping for more old sitcoms. Next week, they're doing a special retro week with MTM, Taxi, WKRP, Kotter and Barney Miller. Wouldn't mind seeing any or all of those making the schedule. I could get behind WGNA being a de facto TVLand2 + Cubs.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Corner Gas? C'mon....that's worth it! They're the ones that brought CG to the U.S.

9. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I do sometimes like the watch the WGN news though. I'm glad they don't overlay it on the national feed like I heard WTBS used to do.

It's fun to watch sometimes. Murder, mayhem! And that wacky City Council! Plus Chicago is my favorite city and by watching the news I can pretend that I live there. :)

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's a lot of buzz that WGN America will shortly drop all Chicago-oriented programming, including Cubs and White Sox baseball, and the WGN 9 news... nothing official, yet, however.

11. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That ain't happening. They just signed on (within the past 60 days) as a partner to broadcast Chicago Blackhawks hockey games (along with Comcast) providing Chicago viewers with all away and home games next year.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's apparently with WGN-9, the over-the-air CW affiliate in Chicago, IL.

http://wgntv.trb.com/about/station/wgn-blackhawks-pressrelease,0,4619120.story

That does not look to affect WGN America, which is continuing it's evolution away from WGN-9. Eventually, it is said that WGN America will be completely separate from WGN-9, and have absolutely no Chicago-oriented programming at all.

(WGN-9 will continue to be Chicago-oriented, including carrying Chicago sports and news programming.)

ETA: The WGN America website confirms that the Blackhawk games will be exclusively on WGN-TV, channel 9:
    http://www.wgnamerica.com/contact.html

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I knew that :eek:

three :thumbsdown: for me.

14. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    You'd miss "Corner Gas" which would be an almighty shame :D

That said I hate all logos/onscreen graphics, so an ugly or obtrusive one is just status quo anymore.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I haven't watched WGN in maybe a decade...

16. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Someone needs to holler when "Corner Gas" starts over from the beginning. I don't want to jump in the middle.

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    +1

WGN & the Atlanta station (WTBS?) were big (to me) in the early days of cable. There weren't all the networks we have now (Disc, A&E, Trav, yada), and other than HBO, there were the "super-stations" and a few others. So we watched.

As time has marched, the quality of cable (and I suppose satellite) has increased exponentially as the number of viewing options has increased. I can't remember the last time I watched any of the superstations. Or which ones are even still around. :rolleyes:

18. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Really doesn't matter (plus WGN doesn't air them in order 'cept on Sunday night I think -- they run them all week out of order). There may be two or three eps in the first four seasons that would "require" previous knowledge from earlier episodes. You can basically start anywhere.

Check out this thread. There are comments about whether you need to watch them in order. Oh, and see this site too.

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
  20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yep. Corner Gas has no larger story arcs. Each episode is it's own thing and with no casting changes, it can be difficult to see a difference between a 1st season and 5th season show.