i dont have cable or satalite

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by slymouse, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1 of 11
    slymouse

slymouse New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    help... i do not have cable or satellite but i just bought the tivo2 DT i only have an antenna how can i get it to find my channel line up

2. Oct 6, 2007 #2 of 11
    renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Have you got everything all hooked up and found the TIVO welcome screen? Go to Messages, settings, and check for the channel line up there.

3. Oct 6, 2007 #3 of 11
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The TiVo should have started you in "guided setup" if the box is new. If not, go to Messages and Settings, Restart the Recorder, Rerun Guided Setup. Make sure that the telephone line, Ethernet cable or wireless adapter is connected.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #4 of 11
    slymouse

slymouse New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    it only gives me the opption of cable or satalite theres not any opptions for an antenna

5. Oct 6, 2007 #5 of 11
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Take it back and get a TiVoHD. The Series 2 DT cannot be set up for antenna.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Just an FYI, an older (single-tuner) S2 such as a 240 or 540 can be setup for antenna (they have an NTSC tuner).

But like classicsat said, not the DT. It doesn't have an NTSC tuner. A TivoHD/S3, has both an NTSC (analog) and an ATSC (digital) tuner.

With the upcoming deadlines for OTA analog broadcasts, wouldn't make much sense to get an older S2 for antenna use. Get the TivoHD.

7. Oct 6, 2007 #7 of 11
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The Dual Tuner Series 2 TiVo does indeed have an NTSC tuner.

What it doesn't have is an OverTheAir tuner.

An analog cable tuner uses the NTSC format.

It is right that the Dual Tuner TiVo wasn't made to work with OTA, and so either a single tuner Series 2 (if you can find one) or a newer TiVio HD or Series 3 is the way to go.

8. Oct 6, 2007 #8 of 11
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    What he said. :D

9. Oct 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    NTSC is the how the video is encoded, but the frequency->channel assignments are different for cable and over-the-air. The DT only supports the cable assignments, since government regulations now prohibit the sale of devices that include an analog over-the-air tuner but don't have a digital (ATSC) tuner. Currently, the only TiVo models sold that support analog over-the-air are the Series3 and TiVoHD, which include the required digital tuners. Note that the requirements don't mean that the device has to support HD, only that it support digital.

10. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    What is the difference in a digital box or an HD box? :confused:

11. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    HD refers to the picture 'quality' - high definition. More pixels on the screen, more detail or definition.

Digital means that the image and sound are converted to a series of numbers which are transmitted and reassembled at the destination into an image and sound.

Standard definition (lower quality) programs can be and are being transmitted digitally as well as high defination images.

This site has a really good explanation if you want more detail.